6" Cake Keeps Getting Burn... Help

Baking By Yoann26 Updated 22 Oct 2011 , 6:50pm by elliespartycake

Yoann26 Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 7:57am
post #1 of 9

So, I just burned two 6" carrot cakes. The first one I baked at 350 temperature. The 2nd one, at 400 temp. ( because i read online that for smaller cakes i should raise the temp and lower the lenght on the oven, but the cake still burned)
Please HELP.
A friend of mine is picking up the cake tomorrow and I need to have the cake filleds and ready by late morning!

I am going crazy in here

Thanks in advance.

8 replies
rara1975 Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 8:00am
post #2 of 9

I know it probably sounds obvious, but I'd turn the temperature down. Also some foil lightly on top would protect it. HTH

Yoann26 Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 8:35am
post #3 of 9

Thanks but I've tried this before. and it takes like an hr or maybe more for the cake to be done and thats if it doesnt get the sides burn from being on the oven all the time.

KoryAK Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 8:50am
post #4 of 9

Are you baking it 2" deep? While that is usually fine, if you are having trouble, try baking two 1" deep layers. And don't bake cake at 400 icon_smile.gif (except MAYBE roll cakes)

augurey Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 11:12am
post #5 of 9

Definitely do a lower baking temp.

I had the same problem you are having. I was doing a 6" carrot and the instructions said 50 minutes at 350 -- and it does take about 45-50 minutes for it to cook. When I took it out, I can't say it was what I'd consider burnt, but it was way overdone and very much stuck in the pan.

Lowering the temperature helped. I think I did 325 for mine and it didn't change the baking time that much.

ETA: Have you ever checked the temperature on your oven? Maybe the temperature is off and is really higher than what you are setting it at. I realize you might not be able to fix that now, but maybe something to check out? Just a thought since you are saying they are burning still.

Kiddiekakes Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 5:44pm
post #6 of 9

400 is way too high to bake at..It will burn before it completely cooks through which is probably what is happening..I bake at 325 for white cakes and 340 for chocolate cake...My white cakes burn at 340...I also use my convection setting to allow for better heat distribution.It sounds like your oven may be off in temp..buy a oven temp guage and check it out.

nhbaker Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 6:23pm
post #7 of 9

I use bake even cake strips on all my cakes (including carrot) and have never had an issue with cakes burning.

I also bake all my cakes in a convection oven at 325 and they come out perfect. If you don't have convection, I would try to stay around 350 or lower, never raise the temp. All that does is cause the outside to cook too fast. If anything, bake at a lower temp for a longer period of time.

leah_s Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 6:43pm
post #8 of 9

325 is about as hot as you want to go for cakes. I generally use 310 convection.

elliespartycake Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 6:50pm
post #9 of 9

I never rely on the suggested baking time or temp. Everyone's oven is different. I always check after 20-25 min and than again as the time elapses. I rely on cake testing and visual clues...never on time alone.
Hope you have success.

Quote by @%username% on %date%