Vanilla Beans... Not Expensive And Not Hard And Crusty?!

Decorating By AniK Updated 24 Oct 2011 , 9:53pm by AniK

AniK Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 6:35am
post #1 of 10

I wanted to try a cupcake recipe using vanilla bean today and I went to the store (Safeway) and found ONE for $5.99, and if I shook the jar, it rattled like dried corn! Not helpful! Anyone found good vanilla beans, for good prices, and with good quality? Oh, and not charging a zillion dollars for shipping would be nice too... ugh.

9 replies
MikeRowesHunny Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 7:07am
post #2 of 10

Ebay. Lots of sellers with great beans at great prices. I make my own extract and that's where I get my beans from.

KoryAK Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 8:55am
post #3 of 10

Also try the natural foods section of your grocery store. They are usually cheaper. I can't speak to how old they may be... that will depend on your store and the demand. Sometimes Costco has them.

GatuPR Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 10:15am
post #4 of 10

You can order them from beanilla . com They are having a sale on madagascar beans 25 ct. for $25, shipping to where I live is about $4 plus change. The more you buy, the cheaper they are. If you vacuum pack them they will last for years.

You can also buy them from a ma z on. HTH

scp1127 Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 10:31am
post #5 of 10

Amazon from JR Mushrooms.

mariacakestoo Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 5:54pm
post #6 of 10

Vanilla Products USA. Get a jar of paste while you're at it.

cathyscakes Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 6:12pm
post #7 of 10

Yes, ebay is a great place to buy. I would never buy one from a grocery store, what a rip off, at my local store they were asking 7.99 for one bean.

SweetDreams_DK Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 7:14pm
post #8 of 10

Here in Seattle, we have a chain called QFC that has vanilla beans in the bulk food section that they sell by the pound. It takes a ton of vanilla beans to make a pound! (I think something like $67/lb.) They end up being next to nothing when you just buy a few, and they're wonderfully fresh.

So, try the bulk spices section in your grocery store.

MsGF Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 7:32pm
post #9 of 10

In Canada the best place to get good fresh vanilla beans is at I order from them all the time and have never been disappointed with the price or quality.

AniK Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 9:53pm
post #10 of 10

All of these are great. Thanks guys. After going through all of them, the best one was Indrivanilla, but the post is gone now... I'm on a large public network of about 70,000 people so I hope whoever it was didn't get their post deleted because we share an IP! Thanks for all your posts; I will be ordering me some vanilla beans from Indrivanilla tonight!

Quote by @%username% on %date%