Anyone Enjoying The "cake Craze?"

Lounge By kello Updated 29 Oct 2011 , 3:17am by cabecakes

kello Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 1:07am
post #1 of 15

It seems like the cake business has really become popular with so many cake and cupcake shows lately. I'm not too sure I'm liking it. Mind you, I enjoy watching the cakes shows on t.v. and all, but when you get comments like "oh, you're trying to be the next Cake Boss" or " oh, you're jumping on the popular cake train" really irks me!!! "Um, NO! I've been doing it well before the cake craze ever started."
Anyone else get remarks like this? How do you feel about seeing so many cake shows lately?
I'd like to think my work is more than just "trying" to be like......blah blah blah.
Sorry, just had to rant....

14 replies
KatsSuiteCakes Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 1:55am
post #2 of 15

I've been baking cakes longer than the "Cake Boss" has been alive..........I get that a lot too, and am perfecting the art of rolling my eyes! icon_rolleyes.gif

I just simply enjoy making a tasty, pretty cake.

QTCakes1 Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 11:26pm
post #3 of 15

My biggest annoyance about the cake craze is everyone all of a sudden takes 1 Wilton class and they are in business. The second is everyone seeing these lovely cake shows, wanting that type of cake and not knowing that they are looking at a cake that cost seversal thousands of dollars.

kello Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 11:51pm
post #4 of 15

I couldn't agree more!!!

Panel7124 Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 12:00pm
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by QTCakes1

The second is everyone seeing these lovely cake shows, wanting that type of cake and not knowing that they are looking at a cake that cost seversal thousands of dollars.

Yeah, like: 'Can you make me a cake like Buddy does?' No, I can't, I'm not Buddy. I'll not put PVC pipes and wheels in your $150 cake. Well, I'll probably never put wheels in any cake. icon_wink.gif

QTCakes1 Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 2:36pm
post #6 of 15

[quote="Panel7124"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by QTCakes1

Yeah, like: 'Can you make me a cake like Buddy does?' No, I can't, I'm not Buddy. I'll not put PVC pipes and wheels in your $150 cake. Well, I'll probably never put wheels in any cake. icon_wink.gif

What you need to say is "Sure, cause Buddy has a price point that starts at $1500 and for a cake like that, he charges $5000. WOOHOO! KA-CHING for me"! and see how they look. Now I may not say the ka-ching part, but when I get the 'ol "Bddy Cake" or "Ace of Cakes cake", I let them know their starting price point of $1500. Don't come at me with that nonsense and then say your budget is a $100, which I wouldn't bother making any way. icon_twisted.gif

AnnieCahill Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 8:05pm
post #7 of 15

I totally agree QT. I have been doing this for almost 15 years now. It really amazes me too about the people who have had one class and decide it's time to go into business. What are these people thinking? There was a cupcake shop in my town which was only open for six months. Unfortunately a lot of people are getting themselves into trouble by not doing the proper research.

I miss the days when caking was like a secret society, LOL.

lilcakebaker Posted 25 Oct 2011 , 11:24pm
post #8 of 15

Im enjoying it icon_smile.gif I did get into making cakes through watching the TV cake shows and thinking to myself "I'd like to try that". My Aunt has been making cool cakes for years and as a child I always had different cakes for my birthdays. So, wanting that for my own child and having the satisfaction of doing it myself, I started making cakes a year ago.

Now I haven't had any classes but I also don't EVER plan on actually starting a business! I do it for fun and for friends....So, Im very glad they started this craze!

QTCakes1 Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 1:33am
post #9 of 15

See I don't mind people who start a cake business with some research like AnnieCahill says. It's those that just complete all the Wilton's course and feel they are ready to roll. How can you be ready to roll when you've never stacked a wedding cake? icon_confused.gif And I know we all gotta learn sometimes, right? So do your cousin's wedding who knows your just learning, not someone who just paid you $600 and you give them some what of a fail. It doesn't just effect them, I think it also reflects poorly on the legit at home bakers.

dawnybird Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 3:33am
post #10 of 15

I don't mean to sound mean, but you guys sound a little exclusive and seem to be forgetting that you were beginners once too. You probably had people who encouraged you to continue to practice and learn, not make fun of you because they knew more than you did.
Newbies like me understand that we have only just begun and have a looong way to go, and we depend on the kindness of the veteran cakers to give us a helping hand. Why be a "secret society" when there's plenty of room for us all.

I've always felt people on this site were so friendly and helpful, but I feel a little put down by this post. Sorry, just had to say what was on my mind No hard feelings.

Unlimited Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 5:20am
post #11 of 15

I'm enjoying it. Many years ago, being a cake decorator was never a very glamorous professionperhaps creative, but not much to brag about.

With the recent craze, it's become more wildly popular not only by newbie decorators, but also by the general public that seems to show an interest, and potential customers that want something special that can appreciate the talent that it takes.

kello Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 12:38pm
post #12 of 15

Dawnybird, that really isn't what I was getting at. Yes, we were all newbies at one point. But when I was a newbie, no one had seen cakes like that before. Now some people think I'm doing it because everyone else is doing it, and like mentioned before, they don't realize the amount of work and costs involved and expect so much for so little. On t.v. it doesn't seem that complicated to whip a cake together with a whole team of people.
It was just the comments that I have heard along the way recently because of the shows that I don't like. That's all.
I hope you are enjoying your caking journey! It's one that you will constantly be learning the entire way.

dawnybird Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 1:52pm
post #13 of 15

Thanks, Kello. I get what you were saying, I was referring more to the people who kept saying "They take a couple of Wilton courses and think they're professional bakers". I started with Wilton because, frankly, it's the only game in town. I recognized that it was the most basic things, but you do have to have the basics before you can move on. Does anyone know where you can learn advanced techniques without going to New York??

Anyway, thanks for your sweet words!

QTCakes1 Posted 26 Oct 2011 , 11:29pm
post #14 of 15

Well since it was me who said it, all I can say is I stand by it. Yes, we do all start somewhere. I did and there was no Wilton's course then. But as I learned a few techniques, I didn't think "Okay, I have this down, so let me start a full business". Why? Cause I just didn't know enough to actually sell cakes and 3 Wilton's courses where you barely learn how to use fondant doesn't put you in that position either. Now like Kello says, when you do cakes, people who didn't know think you just jumped on some band wagon, cause a lot of people have done exactly that. And that's fine too, cause everyone likes to have a hobby. But when you see those cake shows and think "I'll take some Wiltons' courses and then go into business", I'm not too keen on that. Oh, and just to give you an example of exactly what I mean, a few years ago someone came on her and asked, "I just finished Wilton's Course 3 and have decided to open a store front. My father is willing to give me $50K of his' retirement money. Where should I start"? icon_confused.gif Seriously? That is what I am talking about.

cabecakes Posted 29 Oct 2011 , 3:17am
post #15 of 15

Not to sound snitty, because that really isn't my intention, but there have been a very few people right here on CC that have posted in the forums stating that they have taken a few cake classes and are going to start their own business, but you go in and look at their pics and think to yourself...I pity their clients. Anyone that takes this on as a business must remember that they are providing a cake for a very special occasion, and as such the client expects to get a cake representatively as special as their event. I have even seen a post or two of "cake designers" ranting because a client didn't like the looks of their cakes, but when you look at the photos of the cakes you think to yourself...I would be upset if I paid my hard earned money for that cake too! Now let me clarify...these are more the exception then the rule, but they do exist. I really hate that these shows make everyone think you can just walk in and the next day have a designer cake wheeled in on a large cart, and you notice they never tell how much was paid out for the cake do you. This is why the pros have to put up with the deer in the headlights look when they want a 3 tier birthday cake for little Susie's birthday, but they only have a 100.00 budget. I am by no means a professional...not even close, but I can see where this could be irritating for someone that is.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%