Air Bubbles And Ganache-Please Help!

Decorating By puddles_gal Updated 24 Oct 2011 , 9:56am by nanefy

puddles_gal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puddles_gal Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 7:12pm
post #1 of 8

I've recently started using chocolate ganache to cover my cakes instead of buttercream, and I love it! However, I am getting TONS of air bubbles after I cover the ganached cake with fondant. I brush the cake with hot water first, and then cover the cake with the fondant. Any ideas or suggestions as to why I am getting so many air bubbles? Thank you!

7 replies
puddles_gal Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 9:04pm
post #2 of 8

Anyone?

MCurry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCurry Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 9:26pm
post #3 of 8

If you have bubbles your ganache has been over whipped or you are stirring to fast which can lead to air being incorporated. You will tend to get more bubbles if you use a spoon or spatula to stir the ganache. If you already made the mixture in the bowl you can always tap the bowl on the counter a few time to allow the bubbles to come to the surface and burst.

When I make ganache I pour the hot mixture over the chocolate and let sit for about 2 minutes to allow the chocolate to melt. Then I use a whisk and mix only until well blended. You can also use an immersion blender for this as well.

puddles_gal Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 9:29pm
post #4 of 8

Ok-would that be causing the air bubbles in the fondant after I cover the cake?

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 9:37pm
post #5 of 8

No it wouldn't. Is your coating of gaanche super smooth or are there maybe small indented areas that are catching air? I'm also thinking your fondant might be sticking TOO well and too fast so air is getting trapped in more areas. Try skipping the hot water. I don't think it's necessary anyway. HTH

puddles_gal Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 9:39pm
post #6 of 8

I try to get it as smooth as possible. I agree- I think it is sticking too fast, so air is getting trapped in a lot of places. I will try and skip the water next time and see what happens. Thank you! icon_surprised.gif)

MCurry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCurry Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 10:09pm
post #7 of 8

Ok got it - read your post wrong! LOL!

Also, if you have warm hands like I do, you may have to work faster to ensure you are not creating the bubbles because it is sticking faster. Agree with KoryAK about skipping the water.

nanefy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanefy Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 9:56am
post #8 of 8

I had this problem when I first started using ganache. The changes I made to prevent it were to stop using corn starch to roll out my fondant and start using icing sugar - this helped loads. Also, don't wet your ganache too much, too much liquid means your fondant sticks too quickly and traps the air - the ganache only needs to be slightly damp - plus just be extra careful when covering with fondant that you are not trapping air in an effort to get the fondant on quickly - I've discovered that slowly does it works better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%