Ganache Icing For Cupcakes

Baking By FullHouse Updated 23 Oct 2011 , 11:32pm by labmom

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 5:55pm
post #1 of 8

I need chocolate ganache icing on a cupcake. Which would you use? (2:1 ratio) Whipped ganache, straight ganache or do you think neither would work well and I should use a ganache buttercream. It will be set up at room temp. during the party. Thanks in advance.

7 replies
Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 6:04pm
post #2 of 8

I use a 1:1 ratio and then whip it a bit before piping.

FullHouse Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 6:28pm
post #3 of 8

Thank you so much!

Whispur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Whispur Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 6:55am
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullHouse

I need chocolate ganache icing on a cupcake. Which would you use? (2:1 ratio) Whipped ganache, straight ganache or do you think neither would work well and I should use a ganache buttercream. It will be set up at room temp. during the party. Thanks in advance.

Definitely 1:1 heavy cream to (real) chocolate!

rlowry03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlowry03 Posted 23 Oct 2011 , 3:50am
post #5 of 8

Depends on what look you want but I vote 1:1 whipped for a yummy swirl on top. Plain ganache will give you just a smooth dipped look.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 23 Oct 2011 , 4:40am
post #6 of 8

If you use chocolate chips I use a 2:1 ratio for better stability but I don't whip my ganache. I either dip or pipe after its completely set.

FullHouse Posted 23 Oct 2011 , 1:17pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you ladies for the help. I had already made mine 2:1 (with choc. chips). I whipped it very briefly with a hand mixer and then piped it on, was happy with the results. I never used ganache icing for cupcakes before, only under fondant or as a filling, so I was starting to over analyze. Knew CC would be the place to go icon_smile.gif.

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 23 Oct 2011 , 11:32pm
post #8 of 8

I make mine with 2 to 1 heavy cream and unsalted butter. when I need ganache. but I have this new way and have used this for a wedding cake and cupcakes recently because of cost and no one can tell the difference as long as you use good chocolate chips and it is so easy..
I have a kitchen scale and I can make it as thick or thin as I want.

one 8 oz cool whip (genereic ok) and between 6 & 8 oz of chocolate chips..combine and heat in microwave safe bowl for about 1 1/2 - 2 min... then let set a minute then stir like normal... it will give you the same results. Just let sit at room temp until it is as thick as desired. You can reheat if you get it too thick.

You can increase to 12 oz cool whip to the 12 oz of chips or 16 oz etc..
Its great when they have the $1.00 sale on cool whip. *or generic for 89 cents

It is really good.. my husband gets a bowl for himself just to eat as a truffle once in a while. balled up and put in pecans or choco jimmies, or walnuts
yummy just plain too... enjoy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%