How To Give Icing A Glossy Look?!

Decorating By SteveJ Updated 21 Oct 2011 , 9:12pm by SteveJ

SteveJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SteveJ Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 3:16pm
post #1 of 5

I am making a car cake in the next few weeks. normally my sugarpaste has a matt finish and i was thinking about how to give it a gloss finish. i have heard that people "steam" their cakes to give them a shine but i was worried about colours running and my ising going all soft and sticky!

has anyone got thy other ideas. if i brush it with glaze will that work?

4 replies
smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 3:31pm
post #2 of 5

There are a couple of things that you can do:

You can paint with confectioners glaze. (that's what my guitar cake has on it)

Rub with shortening (that's what my Cars cake has on it)

Or steam....I just got one and it works amazingly! Love it. Doesn't run the colors or anything. You just need to make sure that it doesn't drip any water on the cake.

HTH

Stephanie

preciosa225 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
preciosa225 Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 3:45pm
post #3 of 5

I have a question regarding the confectioner's glaze. I used it on some stars that I had made of fondant/tylose and while the high gloss finish was great, I tasted one after it had dried overnight and it had a funny taste to it. Did I do something wrong? Was I supposed to dilute the glaze with something? I just used it straight from the bottle and brushed a thin layer on the dried pieces.

Motorhead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motorhead Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 4:00pm
post #4 of 5

i've used the confectionary's glaze before, it smells terrible (almost like nail polish) and i did find that there was a slight aftertaste. so i dont' think you've done anything wrong-i think it's just the product. i prefer to rub shortening into the fondant-plus if you have any elephant skin that helps combat it!

SteveJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SteveJ Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 9:12pm
post #5 of 5

anyone else have this problem with confectioners glaze? does it vary with the make of the product or is it a universal problem?!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%