Cricut Cake

Decorating By coleslawcat Updated 21 Oct 2011 , 3:11pm by carolinagirlcakes

coleslawcat Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 2:43pm
post #1 of 3

My husband got me a Cricut Cake for my birthday yesterday! Now I have to figure out how to use it. Does anyone have any good tips? What kind of material works best for cutting gumpaste, fondant? Are there certain sugar sheets that cut better than others? I can't wait to start playing with it and figure it out!

2 replies
knlcox Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 3:11pm
post #2 of 3

There are several threads in the forums about how and what to do to help make the cricut work for you. I have one and I love mine. I have never had any luck with the pre-made sugar sheets. The blade scrapes the sheet and drags the image. I usually have to roll out my fondant/gumpaste really thin and I freeze it for a few minutes before cutting it. After it's cut I just let it sit for about 10 minutes before I try to remove it from the mat. HTH!

Good luck with your cricut! I LOVE mine but I had to practice with it to find how it works best for me.

carolinagirlcakes Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 3:11pm
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by coleslawcat

Does anyone have any good tips?

After I roll out my fondant on the cutting board sheets I like to pop it into the freezer for a few seconds to harden it up a bit. I makes it easier to cut. After it is cut pop it back into the freezer for a few seconds and the images will release easier from the board.

Quote:

What kind of material works best for cutting gumpaste, fondant?

Not sure what you are asking with this question. The blades come with the machine and it comes with one starter cartridge. I have bought others at Walmart.

Quote:

Are there certain sugar sheets that cut better than others?

I have used the sheet that are made by Cricut but did not like them. I found them to be two fragile and crake easily.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%