Help Getting Black Modeling Chocolate

Baking By experimenting Updated 24 Oct 2011 , 6:33pm by experimenting

experimenting Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 5:13am
post #1 of 6

I melted 7oz. of semi-sweet chocolate and added black oil-based candy color (used the entire small container) before adding light corn syrup and only ended up with dark brown.
What are my options for getting black?
Can I use an edible black spray paint on this dark brown after I've made my figures? I just need a few small balls for making the black "angry birds" bird and some facial accessories (eg, eyebrows and tails) on the rest of the birds.
Or should I paint them? How would I do this?
I guess I'm hoping not to waste the dark brown modeling chocolate I just made....
Or should I just start over and use a darker chocolate?
Or should I just use store-bought black fondant? I wanted all of my figures to be modeling chocolate, but I don't know where to buy pre-made black modeling chocolate, besides a big tub of it online. Michael's had some black candy melts for Halloween but I didn't buy it in time :/ They do carry a tub of black Duff fondant.

Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated icon_smile.gif

5 replies
sillywabbitz Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 5:36am
post #2 of 6

If you have the black spray it will probably work but I would buy the black fondant. You could buy the small Wilton multi pack that has black in it and knead some of you brown modeling chocolate into. You would be wasting your chocolate and it would make the fondant taste better.

icingimages Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 11:02am
post #3 of 6

Go with is the best out there. You will love it!

experimenting Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 5:54pm
post #4 of 6

sillywabitz - Thank you. I guess I will go ahead and buy some black fondant and try mixing some of my mod. chocolate. Won't that give it a different color though?

icingimages - I asked about premade modeling chocolate brands in a previous thread and got no responses, so thank you. It's too late for my current project, but I'll try chocopan in the near future!

sillywabbitz Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 6:04pm
post #5 of 6

Usually the black is strong enough to win. It will depend on how light brown your modeling chocolate turned out.

experimenting Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 6:33pm
post #6 of 6

My modeling chocolate turned out to be a very dark brown, just not quite black. I mixed it with some black fondant and it turned out perfect - thank you again icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%