Baffled In Calgary Cake Recipe Help.

Baking By Bimasala Updated 21 Oct 2011 , 4:46am by Bimasala

Bimasala Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bimasala Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 1:57am
post #1 of 6

I hope someone can help me! I just moved to Calgary, Canada, and all the cakes and cookies have made since arriving have been the worst! I use the same recipes, measurements etc. I don't know if its the ingredients or the oven or me. The cakes don't cook at the same settings I used to use and I have to adjust the time for longer and .... I just don't understand. I'm at my wits end! I am trying to start my small business here in the city and this is just so baffling to me. Any suggestions out there will be really appreciated, especially from fellow Calgary bakers (maybe its something in the air). Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 2:02am
post #2 of 6

I'm not sure where you moved from, but has the elevation changed? That could affect your baking for sure. I'm not sure if it only does on a dramatic change, or even if it's a slight elevation change.

godsgood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
godsgood Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 2:04am
post #3 of 6

Where did you move from? If you are at a higher altitude, you will have to adjust your baking a little. A little bit more info here http://www.ochef.com/327.htm and you can also google "high altitude baking". Usually high altitude for baking is considered above about 2,500 feet or more. Calgary is about 3,400 feet. That may be your problem.

godsgood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
godsgood Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 2:08am
post #4 of 6

I must have been typing when the previous poster replied icon_smile.gif

tarabara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarabara Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 2:20am
post #5 of 6

If you moved within Canada I would guess elevation change. There's a significant change in humidity from BC to Calgary but I'm not sure where you moved from and the average cookie recipes shouldn't be affected by that. If you've moved from the States I noticed that I had to use a different amount of flour for my recipes when I was living in the US. Took forever for me to figure that out but it made a huge difference. If you have a new oven, you might want to get an internal thermometer to ensure it's accurate. Good luck!

Bimasala Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bimasala Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 4:46am
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, i will definitely be trying all this weekend.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%