Freezing Fondont

Decorating By petermobile Updated 20 Oct 2011 , 10:36pm by MCurry

petermobile Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 4:42pm
post #1 of 6

I got news that my bf migt not be home for his birthday party, before i knew of this news i took time off to do his cake..... can i freeze fondont if i have to for a week and if so how do i do it? my parents have a food vacumm thing u buy in the stores can i use that?

5 replies
mcdonald Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 5:05pm
post #2 of 6

I freeze my fondant all the time. I always have left over fondant and I just wrap it in syran and stick it in a ziplock bag.. helps me when I need little pieces of fondant for flowers etc... works everytime.. even if I have defrosted some and don't use it all.. back in the freezer it goes!!

ReneeFLL Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 5:15pm
post #3 of 6

I often make extra batches ahead of time and also freeze it. Saran wrap well and then into a zip lock like the other poster said. Works just as well for later uses.

Jackie_S Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 5:45pm
post #4 of 6

Once you freeze the fondant and let it come to room temp, do you microwave it to get it soft enough to work with? I tried freezing fondant and it just did not work out for me at all. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? icon_confused.gif

petermobile Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 10:17pm
post #5 of 6

i want to cover the whole truck cake and freeze it so i dont have to do the fondont afterwards and the cake is HUGE so i cant do ziplock any other ways i can freeze the whole cake, ive been putting the rice krispies( the main part of the truck) in saran wrap then aluminum foil so he cant see it, could i do that?

MCurry Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 10:36pm
post #6 of 6

A fondant covered cake can be frozen. However, I do not use rice krispie treats so someone else will need to weigh in on how well they freeze. What I was taught is when wrapping the cake make sure the plastic wrap is touching the cake to reduce any moisture or heavy condensation build up on the cake. Also, I moved it from the freezer to the fridge to defrost, then put it out a few hours before cutting to come to room temperature.

Hope this helps but curious on what other methods people are using out there!

Quote by @%username% on %date%