Sparkly Icing?

Decorating By kel58 Updated 29 Oct 2011 , 1:18pm by kel58

kel58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kel58 Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 3:25pm
post #1 of 10

So im making a Darth Vadar cake for this weekend and it going to dark blue with silver fondant stars. Is it possible to add sparkle to the buttercream?
Can I put luster dust in it?
Any thought would be fantastic!

9 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 3:47pm
post #2 of 10

Generally you would have the dusts after. I'm not sure they have the same effectiveness when mixed in with buttercream.

cindy1952 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy1952 Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 3:55pm
post #3 of 10

take a spoonful of icing and mix in a little sparkle and do a test.

rara1975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rara1975 Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 7:37pm
post #4 of 10

I always heard your best to add it afterwards, putting it in loses the shine.

Cakegirl313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakegirl313 Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 4:05am
post #5 of 10

Definately add it on after. I have tried mixing it in with my icings both buttercream and fondant and it just either gets lost in the mix or doesn't give you the total effect that you are wanting. You could also use Disco dust to add a sparkle to it.

kel58 Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 12:14pm
post #6 of 10

Thanks for the advice everyone. I knew it was a long shot but I thought I would ask.
I would love to use disco dust by my local stores don't carry it. The next closest stores are an hour away (those are just craft stores) and the closest big cake store is about 2 hours from here.

I LOVE when I get to go to the cake store. Its like heaven...heaven that cost me a lot of money.

Well I have one more week to figure it out cause the birthday party got postponed. Looks like their cakes are going in the freezer since I just finished baking an hour before they called.

MaurorLess67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaurorLess67 Posted 23 Oct 2011 , 1:38pm
post #7 of 10

You have plenty of time to order from many different online stores- I have used- Global, Oasis, Sweetwise, I usually recieve my order within 2 days- and thats with the regular shipping!

kel58 Posted 23 Oct 2011 , 1:41pm
post #8 of 10

Really? Ill take a look. Last time I wanted to order just one thing the shipping was far more than the product. I'm in Canada so my order might take longer to get here depending on who i order from

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 29 Oct 2011 , 1:14pm
post #9 of 10

Golda's kitchen has lots of stuff - they are in Ontario and I order from them all the time - great service! You may also be able to pick up what you need at your local hobby store or Michael's. Have fun!

kel58 Posted 29 Oct 2011 , 1:18pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks cakesrock. That is exactly who I ordered from and it showed up in two days.
I live about 2 hours from Goldas. We have bulk barns and micheals a little closer but Goldas is the closest one stop shopping store. Great place, I could spend all day in there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%