Wedding Cancelled!!!!

Decorating By dellababe Updated 20 Oct 2011 , 2:30pm by Candice56

dellababe Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 1:39pm
post #1 of 7

Oh Ladies I need your advice!!! I've spent 3 days making cakes,4 batches of fondant,2 large batches of icing, and a few accessories for a 3 tier wedding cake for this Saturday and found out this morning that it's been called off!! The bride has already paid me the full amount for the cake and I've spent a portion of it on supplies. So do I keep the money or give back what I haven't spent?? HELP....

6 replies
chassidyg Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 1:53pm
post #2 of 7

Follow what your contract says, at this late in the planning, I think whatever you may choose to give her back is up to you, I'm sure she's not getting anything back from quite a few vendors, pretty late notice!

kakeladi Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 1:56pm
post #3 of 7

Did they sign a contract? Gee thats too bad....but they now own a cake! What they do with it is their business and *definately* NO refund.
Ask them if they want you to donate it to a fire dept; battered women's shelter; police dept; or some other place.

Vista Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 2:14pm
post #4 of 7

I agree with everyone else, NO REFUND. It is not just about how much you have already spent. It is the time that has been invested, and that you had to keep that date on your calendar when you may have had the opportunity to fill it with another order.

What I do in that case is tell them how sorry I am for their situation and if things get worked out and she decides to rebook I will apply __% towards a new cake. (as long as the rebooking takes place in a specific time frame.)

lilscakes Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 2:18pm
post #5 of 7

ugh....I had the same thing happen to me last year. Only difference it was for my neighbor's daughter and I was doing it for cost (I know, I know....stupid thing to do , but learned my lesson). I ended up "eating" the cost for two of the largest layers and donated the cakes to a women's shelter. Wedding back on this year, bride asked me again to make the cake, I said "no". Won't be making that mistake again! I'd say if you have a contract, go with what it says. Don't refund; the fact the wedding was canceled is NOT your problem. You have a business to run and can't make it work if you refund for something totally out of your control. Good luck!

Melvira Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 2:29pm
post #6 of 7

If they had cancelled BEFORE you made it, I'd offer a partial refund, but since you've already MADE the cake, sorry guys. They are going to get that response from the majority of vendors whose contributions are perishable or unable to be resold somewhere else. Like the DJ could possibly rebooked, but if not then the couple is still most likely on the hook for the whole amount.

Candice56 Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 2:30pm
post #7 of 7

Yes this is the brides problem not yours, I'd use the suugestions above and let her know she can take her cake to a shelter and give to those less fortunate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%