Best Flavor Cake To Pair With Bavarian Cream Filling?

Baking By tsal Updated 20 Oct 2011 , 8:22pm by tsal

tsal Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 12:38pm
post #1 of 9

Hi,

I'm trying out a Bavarian cream filling this weekend and would love suggestions as to which flavor cake would pair beautifully with this.

I was just going to make vanilla, but I am suddenly feeling more adventurous! icon_smile.gif

8 replies
MCurry Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 1:02pm
post #2 of 9

I would keep the cake vanilla but flavor the Bavarian cream - strawberry, raspberry or cherry are popular flavors. Also, you could add a layer of strawberries or raspberries instead of flavoring the cream. Good luck. Chocolate cake would work too.

QTCakes1 Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 1:16pm
post #3 of 9

Since it is just a basic vanilla flavor, you could do anything. There is no real "best" flavor for it, so go crazy!

Karen421 Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 1:23pm
post #4 of 9

Ok - seriously, what doesn't go with Barbarian cream! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif Ok maybe not red velvet, but Barbarian Cream YUMM !!! icon_biggrin.gif

kakeladi Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 1:38pm
post #5 of 9

I'm weith you - *EVERYTHING* goes with it icon_smile.gif
I had a customer who always ordered white cake w/Bav. I thought that was sooooo bland/yuck icon_smile.gif Well, not yuck but so unimaginative.
I have paired it with choco, choco chip, butter pecan; lemon; fr van; - I think every flavor there is.

bobwonderbuns Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 1:39pm
post #6 of 9

If you really want a contrast, go with a "sharp" cake flavor -- chocolate, spice cake, or something like that. The bavarian creme is very much like a fancy vanilla which is a base flavor and will help offset the sharpness of say a spice cake. Let us know how it goes!! icon_biggrin.gif

scp1127 Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 2:10pm
post #7 of 9

This thread has me wanting a piece of Boston Cream Pie.

ddaigle Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 2:15pm
post #8 of 9

I know you are asking about cake flavors, but I had a comment about Bavarian Cream itself. Though I love Bavarian Cream, I think it belongs in a donut or pie. I think it gets "lost" as a cake filling. I often reommend Strawberry Bavarian Cream or Grand Marnier Bavarian Cream ...or anything added to the Bavarian Cream to enhance it.

tsal Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 8:22pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks, everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%