Sylvia Weinstock Yellow Cake & Mmf

Baking By Minimeals Updated 21 Oct 2011 , 1:59am by Marianna46

Minimeals Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 6:20am
post #1 of 4

Hello,i have a cake for a function next week.i will like to know if sylvia weinstock yellow cake work well with MMF?also what chocolate recipe is perfect for MMF?i like my cakes moist and it is my first time trying MMF.thanks

3 replies
Marianna46 Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 11:44am
post #2 of 4

Any sturdy cake will work with MMF, whatever the flavor. The problem with fondant is that it's heavy, so you don't want a cake that's too light and airy, because the weight of the fondant might squish it down some. Other than that, there are basically no limits. As far as the flavor combining with your cake, you can add different flavorings to the fondant for a better match, but most people don't eat the fondant anyway. Hope that helps a little!

Minimeals Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 8:25pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks.Maybe i should throw it out this way, can i get a recipe for a yellow cake and another chocolate recipe that i can use MMF on? i feel the recipe i use might be a little too moist and might not hold the MMF as you said.
Thanks for replying to the post @Marianna

Marianna46 Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 1:59am
post #4 of 4

If you don't insist on baking from scratch, the doctored cake mix recipe called the WASC (white almond sour cream) cake is a total winner. It's easy to make, always comes out right and there's practically no way you can limit the possible variations. The original recipe and a whole bunch of variations are in thise Google doc:
https://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df4f9hbq_46cs9f28fs
The basic difference between the original recipe and the yellow and chocolate variations is that in the first one you start with a white cake mix, but in the others you start with yellow or chocolate mix. I personally like this cake better when I only use half of the additional sugar that the recipe calls for, but you'll figure that out by trial and error. This cake and all its variants handle fondant very well and carve nicely, too. Ever since I made one just to see what all the fuss was about, I've never turned back!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%