Need Help Asap *if Possible* Cake Heights And Size

Decorating By augurey Updated 22 Oct 2011 , 11:09am by augurey

augurey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
augurey Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 4:47am
post #1 of 14

I have a full sheet cake due tomorrow 5pm.

1/2 chocolate, 1/2 white.

Used 12x18 for each and was going to place them side by side.

Well, mistake 1: I've never used these pans before until this evening.

I'm using an older stove, so I know it doesn't bake the greatest (though I've had some cakes bake very nicely).

I baked at 325 and used a nail in the center. The cake as a whole is probably only about an inch in height. And well, I can't imagine the cake looking good at only an inch, and probably not enough cake.

So, I was going to bake again and try to get a better height or just do a two layer. But, having baked with a 9x13 (thinking 1/4 sheet, 2 should equal my 1/2 sheet) and having nice height, I decided I might be safer going that route.

Well, again, baking at 325 and with a nail in the center, it's still about only an inch in height, so I still have to double it up.

My question is, is there any way I can use the 12x18 and 9x13 as two layers together? I tried to place them together the best I could (the 9x13 are still cooling), and it looks like I might be able to if I trimmed some off the 9x13.

Could this work? Or am I going to have to re-bake again?

I'm currently completely out of ingredients (well, almost all, and that was after already having extra, but apparently not enough for a double screw up) and can't really go anywhere to get any more right now as it's almost 1am -- so if I go, I'll be getting up at the crack of dawn to go (I have to go because I totally screwed up on my icing which is not fixable, and remake that in the morning).

Any suggestions? Is this fixable or am I re-baking?

13 replies
MaricellaSB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaricellaSB Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 4:56am
post #2 of 14

I think this will work fine, just be sure to frost enough to hold all of it together. also just a little time rather than using the nail to bake your cakes even, I use a lasagna pan and fill with water and place on the very last rack of my oven. the water turns to steam and help bake even cakes. (I use a convection oven at 350) =)

-M

augurey Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 10:38am
post #3 of 14

Thanks for the input icon_smile.gif

I'm going to give it a try and pray that it works.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 2:33pm
post #4 of 14

I would give it a try to see how it works out.

If your cakes aren't rising much, but are coming put baked, I'm thinking that you aren't putting enough batter in the pans. Also if you are baking from scratch, I'd see if your baking powder/baking soda are still in date.

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

A 12x18 pan takes 14 cups of batter for a full two in tall cake. If you are using cake mixes, it would take 3-4 depending on the flavor and brand.

For a 13x9, it is 7 cups of batter, again 1.5 to 2 cake mixes depending.

I bake everything at 325, with a flower nail and bake even strips.

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 4:08pm
post #5 of 14

In a 12x18, I use two flower nails. I have also started baking at 300 and notice that my edges don't overbake anymore, and the cakes rise higher (to the full 2" height of the pan) with less dome on top than at 325. I haven't baked at 350 in a very long time so don't remember how those came out, lol.

~Chelle

call2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
call2bake Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 4:25pm
post #6 of 14

Chelle,

How long do you bake the 12x18 @ 300 ?

call2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
call2bake Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 4:25pm
post #7 of 14

Chelle,

chelleb1974 Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 5:48pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by call2bake

Chelle,

I actually have no idea. I set the timer for the time I have on my spreadsheet (don't have access to it right now), then depending on how cooked it looks, I set the timer for another 15, 10 or 5 minutes, and keep doing that. For example, if the center is jiggly, I set it for 15 and check it again. It does take longer to bake at 300, but I think the cake comes out better.

~Chelle

JSKConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JSKConfections Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 6:11pm
post #9 of 14

Yes, that will work fine. I would stack and crumb coat, freeze an hour than carve uneven edges off. then skim another crumb coat to assure its even.

chelleb1974 Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 12:54am
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelleb1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by call2bake

Chelle,

I actually have no idea. I set the timer for the time I have on my spreadsheet (don't have access to it right now), then depending on how cooked it looks, I set the timer for another 15, 10 or 5 minutes, and keep doing that. For example, if the center is jiggly, I set it for 15 and check it again. It does take longer to bake at 300, but I think the cake comes out better.

~Chelle

I just baked a 12" square, and my chart says 40-45min, and at 300 it took 75 minutes. So, I guess almost twice as long. I baked in a 3" pan (but only enough batter for a 2" pan) and the cake came out nearly level!

~Chelle

augurey Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 8:45pm
post #11 of 14

TexasSugar, For filling my pans, I usually fill 3/4 vs 1/2, though it this may have been the case --- I know on my chocolate it definitely was.

When I did my 9x13, I used the same amount of batter as I have in the past (one full recipe would give me a nice height). I do wonder if it may have been the baking powder/soda.

What is general rule of thumb to follow as far as when to replace? I know the 12x18 had an older baking soda in it; but when I did the 9x13 it was a new box that I just bought. Though the recipe did call for baking powder, so I wonder if it could have been that?

For the bake even strips, can you get them large enough to fit a 12x18? Or do you just connect several of them together? I only have two small that fit my 8" round. I would like to invest in more of those. I've seen them do brilliantly with my round cakes.

chelleb, how much more time do you tack onto the time posted for higher temps (prob depending on how high the original temp is)? I wasn't really sure when I lowered the time and tried to find a good time, but my estimations weren't quite on target which left me opening the door more often than I would have liked (I would prefer not to until it's done, but if I have to, I'd rather not more than once). I'm sure that had an effect on how they turned out as well -- maybe I'll try the 300 instead. The super moist chocolate cake recipe that I use bakes at 300 and it always turns out perfectly cooked. Though I did have some dome my 9x13, but nothing too horrible.

JSKConfections, Unfortunately I didn't have time for crumb coat/freeze. That would have saved much effort, especially when icing the chocolate on the sides (so much chocolate crumb). But, aside from time, I unfortunately don't have any freezer space. My boyfriend and I were discussing this yesterday saying that if I had the freezer space this would have been it could have come out so much better because I could have baked of the weekend and could have fixed things rather than having to deal with what I have. But thanks for your input, and hopefully someday (soon) I'll be able have more freezer space available.

Thank you, everyone, for your input. I definitely learned a lot from this experience. Hopefully next time I can avoid this issue and things will go smoother; or at least if I run into this issue again I can know ahead on how to fix it icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 9:05pm
post #12 of 14

You can connect two bake even strips together with out a problem.

chelleb1974 Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 10:26pm
post #13 of 14

Augurey,

It depends on the size of the pan really. Here's my experience from baking last night (I actually wrote down how long it took because of this thread!):

12x18 35-40 @ 325/350 Baked in about 55 min @ 300
12" Square 40-45 @ 325/350 Baked in about 1hr 15min @ 300
10" Square 35-40 @ 325/350 Baked in about 55 min @ 300
8" Square 35-40 @ 325/350 Baked in about 55min @ 300

Hope this helps!

~Chelle

augurey Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 11:09am
post #14 of 14

TexasSugar, I'll have to do that next time. I do like the bake even strips a lot -- I've just never connected them before.

chelleb, thanks so much for that information! icon_smile.gif I'll try it out, baking at 300.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%