Cake Pops/balls Flavor Combinations I Need Help!

Baking By ShabbyChic_Confections Updated 27 Jan 2013 , 2:59am by Nutty Fruitcake

ShabbyChic_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShabbyChic_Confections Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 1:25am
post #1 of 17

I need to make 300 cake pops and I can't think of a good combination.
Do you use frosting, coffee creamer or other kind of liquids?

What's the best combination?

Please help!

TIA

16 replies
KatsSuiteCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatsSuiteCakes Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 1:47am
post #2 of 17

Chocolate with Peanut Butter Buttercream
Butter Pecan with Caramel Buttercream
Orange Cake with Cinnamon Orange Buttercream
Spice Cake with Caramel Buttercream
I have made all of these and more................I love Cake Pops, but have never made that quantity.

Best,
Kat

lindyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindyo Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 1:59am
post #3 of 17

I have made cake pops with Bailey, Khalua and Malibu and even added some Rum. I just put enough of those things to make the cake moist but I do add a little bit of frosting still. There is no exact ratio that I use nor do I measure I just kind of pour and and taste and make sure the consistency is is about the same as with just frosting. You have to make sure that they are not to moist since the liqueur does not harden if you put them in the freezer to quick chill. They might sweat. I hope this helps!

ShabbyChic_Confections Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 2:00am
post #4 of 17

Thanks for the reply, those flavors are amazing, unfortunately I can't bake/cook with cinnamon, I'm allergic to it... icon_sad.gif

I'm trying to figure out how to make sure all the pops are the same size, any suggestions?

ShabbyChic_Confections Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 2:03am
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindyo

I have made cake pops with Bailey, Khalua and Malibu and even added some Rum. I just put enough of those things to make the cake moist but I do add a little bit of frosting still. There is no exact ratio that I use nor do I measure I just kind of pour and and taste and make sure the consistency is is about the same as with just frosting. You have to make sure that they are not to moist since the liqueur does not harden if you put them in the freezer to quick chill. They might sweat. I hope this helps!

The liquors ideas are really good, I didn't know they may swaet. If I only use frosting would they still sweat?

After I dipped them in chocolate, do they need to be refrigerated?

KatsSuiteCakes Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 2:09am
post #6 of 17

Using icing only, I have never had an issue with sweating. I use about 1 1/2 tbs. per pop. I don't really measure precisely, but you can just get the feel after making a few if they're uniform in size. Maybe a small ice cream scoop would be a help.

Just omit the cinnamon, and instead add a bit of grated orange rind to enhance the flavor. The combinations are endless. Just start with a good basic buttercream and change the flavor to anything that complements the cake. I have to say that the Chocolate/Peanut Butter are the absolute best, and my most requested Cake Pop.

Kat

sechrestloans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sechrestloans Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 2:20am
post #7 of 17

Made 550 last month. I actually used flavored cakes and just added extracts or the same flavor buttercream. I made carrot cake with pecans and raisins, mocha that I mixed with strong espresso, strawberry, raspberry, lemon, orange, red velvet, and cinnamon. Dip in whatever flavor chocolate you prefer.

ShabbyChic_Confections Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 4:29am
post #8 of 17

Kat, I love the small ice cream scoop idea, I'm getting one tomorrow!!

sechrestloans, your flavors are amazing!! What kind of cake did you use for the mocha??
I also like lemon cake with raspberry filling, so how can achieve the same flavor on a cake ball?

Crazyforcupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazyforcupcakes Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 9:13pm
post #9 of 17

One problem I've had with cake ball flavors is that the cake flavor tends to overwhelm the frosting flavor. If I add more frosting, though, the cake balls are too moist! So, for a chocolate/peanut butter cake ball, should I just add plain peanut butter, or a peanut butter frosting? Has anyone else had the problem of the cake overtaking the frosting flavor?

BACI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BACI Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 12:38am
post #10 of 17

KAT -
Please excuse me - but I've never made a cake ball & just bought the Babycakes maker to give it a try bc I thought the the mixing way may be too sweet.
ANYWAY - I see you mention using buttercream... I am guessing you mean mixing it in with the cake crumbs to form the cake ball. Have you ever tried to dip the cake ball in buttercream (somehow icon_rolleyes.gif ) instead of dipping in chocolate. Again, just thinking the chocolate would be too sweet.
Any thoughts/direction for me to experiment with would be appreciated!

And to the OP - The Chocolate PB combo sounds delish to me! icon_biggrin.gif Good Luck!

KatsSuiteCakes Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 1:05am
post #11 of 17

Hi BACI,

I think your idea of dipping a cake pop in melted and cooled buttercream is such a neat idea. This would only work with a pop made in this fashion cuz you've got the built in stability of a solid piece of cake. If you try it, please let us know how they turned out.

I do use buttercream mixed in with the cake crumbs and don't use a large amount. Just enough for the pops to hold their shape. I haven't had any comments about them being overly sweet. People just love them, and I love making them.

Kat

KatsSuiteCakes Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 1:14am
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyforcupcakes

One problem I've had with cake ball flavors is that the cake flavor tends to overwhelm the frosting flavor. If I add more frosting, though, the cake balls are too moist! So, for a chocolate/peanut butter cake ball, should I just add plain peanut butter, or a peanut butter frosting? Has anyone else had the problem of the cake overtaking the frosting flavor?

I know what you mean, and I always punch up the flavoring in my buttercream to overcome that issue. I make a peanut butter frosting to add to my chocolate/peanut butter pops. I try to avoid shortening buttercreams for my cake pop icing.

1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/3 cup smooth peanut butter - I love Peter Pan the most
Beat well with a spoon till light and fluffy, and you have more than enough to add to a chocolate cake baked in an 8X13 pan which will make about 2 to 2 1/2 dozen cake pops. I usually dip these in melted white chocolate morsels with a bit of shortening and the 3 flavors are outstanding together.

CrumblesConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrumblesConfections Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 2:55pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShabbyChic_Confections

Thanks for the reply, those flavors are amazing, unfortunately I can't bake/cook with cinnamon, I'm allergic to it... icon_sad.gif

I'm trying to figure out how to make sure all the pops are the same size, any suggestions?

Someone suggested that you should use a small ice cream scoop, tablespoon, etc. to keep them all the same size. I've been using a tablespoon measuring spoon myself. It works fine. I usually use 2 tablespoons for each ball depending on the size I want. Saves time. HTH

Rach82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rach82 Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 3:10pm
post #14 of 17

Hi

I just use a spoon to scoop out the mixture, trying to get a similar amoutn each time & then roll it. I use an empty, cleaned Ferrero Rocher box to chill the balls in the fridge (they have lids so I can stack them) & by using those I can tell if all the balls are a similar size.

HTH
Rach

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 4:14pm
post #15 of 17

I make:
Mint chocolate
Turtle (chocolate cake w/carmel pieces, dipped then rolled in pecans)
Strawberry
Lemon (white cake w/lemon flavor
Mocha
Any liqure
Cookie dough
cookies and cream
chocolate chip
peanut butter

Pretty much anything you can think of

Whispur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Whispur Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 6:54am
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShabbyChic_Confections

Use an industrial kitchen scoop. I use this on all my cookies and other baked goods to ensure equal size.

Nutty Fruitcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nutty Fruitcake Posted 27 Jan 2013 , 2:59am
post #17 of 17

You can purchase a stainless steele scooper in various sizes to make all of your cake pops the same size.  I use the medium scoop by Pampered Chef but any store should carry the scoopers.  They look like ice cream scoopers but I also use mine to fill cupcake liners.  I have made over 3,000 cake pops and it is a must-have tool.  Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%