Would You Eat This?

Decorating By ronronneuse Updated 21 Oct 2011 , 6:37pm by ronronneuse

ronronneuse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ronronneuse Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 11:46pm
post #1 of 34

This isn't a disaster perse, but I wasn't sure where else to post it. And maybe it's a disaster in the making.

Disclaimer: this cake is for me, not for a client or any other party. Just me and a few people in my house. So don't ask yourself "would I give this to my client or serve this at a wedddin"" but rather, "would I myself eat this if it were in front of me and looking very delicious?"

I frosted a cake last night, and, as per my usual practice, I left it on the counter overnight to let it settle (I NEVER have bulges anymore since letting my cakes sit overnight before putting in the fridge). About 5:30 am I wake up in a kind of frenzy, remember that the cake had a pastry cream filling (cooked milk, eggs, sugar) that should probably be refigerated. So, it was out on the counter a total of about six hours in a 60 degree kitchen. Am I playing with food poisining fire, or WOULD YOU EAT THIS CAKE?

Thanks

33 replies
rlowry03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlowry03 Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 11:55pm
post #2 of 34

I personally don't take chances. I've had food poisoning and it just isn't worth it to me! I'm not saying it's not safe to eat, but I wouldn't do it.

bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 11:56pm
post #3 of 34

Nope, I would not eat it. It has been in the "danger temp. Zone" too long.

kellikrause Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellikrause Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 12:10am
post #4 of 34

Just wonder though, pastry cream is cooked...and isn't that the same thing they fill donuts with (bavarian cream or custard) and let sit out? I'm really careful with food and would be too nervous to throw up to eat it (probably) but I just wondered.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 12:17am
post #5 of 34

If you've ever eaten restaurant food, then you've already eaten food more dangerous than your pastry cream filling.

ronronneuse Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 12:18am
post #6 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellikrause

Just wonder though, pastry cream is cooked...and isn't that the same thing they fill donuts with (bavarian cream or custard) and let sit out? I'm really careful with food and would be too nervous to throw up to eat it (probably) but I just wondered.

That's what I was thinking--it's cooked! And it has lots of orange in it, and doesn't acid preserve? And doesn't the sugar preserve? Well, anyway, these are the things I've been telling myself.

Ever since I spent a summer in West Africa many years ago, my ideas about food hygiene have really changed. The women would wake before dawn and prepare food, then sell it all day in the sun with no way to keep it out of the danger zone. It had meat, hard boiled eggs, rice, etc. I would arrive at 6:30pm after my work with a local NGO, and this is what I would eat, with flies on it and everything. I NEVER got sick. I have not abandoned my standard of cleanliess here, but I sometimes think that our hygiene obsession as more to do with tort law than with actual danger. But that's another subject...

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 12:23am
post #7 of 34

Yep, I'd eat it without batting an eyelid. I wouldn't sell it to someone, but I'd eat it myself.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 12:27am
post #8 of 34

I would eat it. Send it on over...... icon_smile.gif

KatsSuiteCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatsSuiteCakes Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 12:34am
post #9 of 34

Not only would I eat it, I'd likely have seconds. We're neighbors. I'll be right over with my own plate and fork, so you won't have to clean up after me.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 12:55am
post #10 of 34

I wouldn't eat it, nor would I allow my family to eat it.

siuingme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
siuingme Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 12:58am
post #11 of 34

If the taste still good, no sour or bitter...I'll eat it !

Foxicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Foxicakes Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 1:10am
post #12 of 34

I, too, would eat it. The custard was cooked, to a temperature hot enough to destroy any bacteria in the eggs (also known as pasteurization). Plus, you are right about sugar and citric acid being preservatives. Further, it's not as if your kitchen was 90 degrees, it was 60 degrees and bacteria needs a warm temperatures (close to body temps) to grow. So, go and enjoy your delicious cake!!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 1:13am
post #13 of 34

Yes I'd eat it. I'd take a tiny taste to be sure it is not sour but most likely it is just fine and would finish it off.

ronronneuse Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 1:19am
post #14 of 34

I think I've had enough positive responses that I'm going to go ahead and bury my face in it. Will let you know within a few days if I survived icon_biggrin.gif

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 1:26am
post #15 of 34

Years ago I fried some chicken for my aging Grandmother, the next day I come over to make breakfast and find the leftover chicken in the oven. I fussed at my Grandma about the dangers of eating food not kept at the right temps. She laughed at me and said "Lord honey what do you think we did before refrideration." Didn't kill her and I doubt your cake will make you sick, enjoy!

rlowry03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlowry03 Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 1:38am
post #16 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronronneuse

Ever since I spent a summer in West Africa many years ago, my ideas about food hygiene have really changed. The women would wake before dawn and prepare food, then sell it all day in the sun with no way to keep it out of the danger zone. It had meat, hard boiled eggs, rice, etc. I would arrive at 6:30pm after my work with a local NGO, and this is what I would eat, with flies on it and everything. I NEVER got sick.

I swear this is a genetic thing. Either that or it's a super immune system based on how you grew up. One side of my family always left food out all the time and ate it without getting sick. I just look at it and get food poisoning! I got my genes from the other side!

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 2:18am
post #17 of 34
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellikrause

That's what I was thinking--it's cooked! And it has lots of orange in it, and doesn't acid preserve? And doesn't the sugar preserve? Well, anyway, these are the things I've been telling myself.

I'm not an expert on the subject, but I don't think the fillings in the donuts that are left out are made with "real" ingredients. Probably something similar to the bettercreme fillings. I think cooked pastry cream is still considered perishable.
ronronneuse- How is it orange and acid in a pastry cream?

OP - if you fill your cakes with perishable fillings, you can speed up the settling process by placing something heavy on top of your cake (of course with something like plastic wrap in between).

Leah_s shared in a thread a long time ago I found very helpful on this subject:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-633571-newest.html+trick

ronronneuse Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 2:44am
post #18 of 34

I've seen that thread, thanks for sharing. It doesn't work as well for me as just letting them sit at room temperature for a day. I don't normally have creamy fillings though. My cakes are quite soft, though, and my frosting too, often, so weighing them down has sometimes resulted in spooging. Sorry, gross word.

The cream is orange flavored--so lots and lots of orange peel and juice (and extract, though that probably doesn't count acidity-wise).

siuingme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
siuingme Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 2:50am
post #19 of 34

Enjoy your delicious cake icon_biggrin.gif

ronronneuse Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 2:56am
post #20 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlowry03

Quote:

Ever since I spent a summer in West Africa many years ago, my ideas about food hygiene have really changed. The women would wake before dawn and prepare food, then sell it all day in the sun with no way to keep it out of the danger zone. It had meat, hard boiled eggs, rice, etc. I would arrive at 6:30pm after my work with a local NGO, and this is what I would eat, with flies on it and everything. I NEVER got sick.

I swear this is a genetic thing. Either that or it's a super immune system based on how you grew up. One side of my family always left food out all the time and ate it without getting sick. I just look at it and get food poisoning! I got my genes from the other side!

I'm sure that's true, rlowry03. I've heard that it depends in part on your blood type, and that type O is especially hardy. hehe, guess what type I am icon_biggrin.gif

Lovelyladylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovelyladylibra Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 3:08am
post #21 of 34

eat it

Foxicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Foxicakes Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 6:19am
post #22 of 34

LOL!! Well...after you have sufficiently "buried your face in it", if it just so happens that I, along with many others were wrong in our estimation of it edibility, I guarantee you that it will NOT take a "couple of days" for you to find out!! More like a couple of hours!! Which is another dead give away for a diagnosis of food poisoning. It pretty much hits you immediately.

Anyway, good luck. Though I don't think you'll need it. Just enjoy your cake...

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 8:31pm
post #23 of 34

When in doubt, I feed it to my husband (but not my kids) icon_smile.gif. He's adventurous and hasn't gotten sick yet.

I like the website www.stilltasty.com . Not sure it could answer this specific question, but it does really come in handy for many things.

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 8:52pm
post #24 of 34

Yes, I would eat it. The ingredients were cooked. There was probably a high sugar content which, as has already been mentioned, acts as a preservative.

So, how was it??? icon_biggrin.gif

Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 8:53pm
post #25 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix

If you've ever eaten restaurant food, then you've already eaten food more dangerous than your pastry cream filling.

lol so true!
Because the eggs were cooked I would eat it. Where do you live I'll come over for a piece right now and be your guinea pig icon_biggrin.gif

Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 8:56pm
post #26 of 34

If you do eat it let us know how it all turns out.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 9:24pm
post #27 of 34

I'm not suggesting that everyone go out and eat contaminated food, but I will point out that much like how vaccinations work, immunity to germs and such comes from exposure to them. If everyone on the planet ate completely sterilized food with no exposure to any of the 'bad' stuff, then whole populations would be wiped out when and if just a small amount of bacteria were to appear because our immune systems would not know how to fight it off.

Like I said..NOT recommending it,! Just an interesting fact. Makes me wonder if so many food allergies exist today because of our attempts at total sterilization.
Food for thought! (pun intended). icon_lol.gif

SweetcakesCT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetcakesCT Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 9:26pm
post #28 of 34

I love all the "save me a piece" responses. Count me in!!!!!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 9:29pm
post #29 of 34

Sure i would eat it, and my family wouldn,t stand by an wait for me to ALLOW them to eat it.They would jump right in a eat it too.lol!!!

Emmar308 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Emmar308 Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 9:38pm
post #30 of 34

I used to have a very resilient stomach, then after 2 bad bouts of food poisoning (no idea what caused them!), i am now very sensitive to food bugs....but i would still eat it icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%