Duff's Black Fondant

Decorating By AnnieCahill Updated 19 Oct 2011 , 7:52pm by AnnieCahill

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 5:00pm
post #1 of 7

Has anyone used this for pieces which are glued onto a BC cake?

I need to make a last minute cake similar to this one:

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1603983

The local bakery is out of black Satin Ice and I only have a tiny ball of Wilton left.

If I purchased Duff's fondant do you think it would dry out enough to put the buildings on the side of the cake like in the picture?

Thanks,
annie

6 replies
KatsSuiteCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatsSuiteCakes Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 5:19pm
post #2 of 7

Annie, it depends on how much time you have for it to dry. Duff's is pretty pliable, and in my experience takes several days to dry without gumpaste or tylose added even when using a cooling rack for the air to circulate around it. I would add some tylose to speed up the drying time.

Kat

faithc24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
faithc24 Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 5:25pm
post #3 of 7

I'd add lots of Tylose or make them from Wilton gumpaste (straight from tr bag because it dries so fast and rock hard) then paint them with black gel an lemon extract mixed. That will dry fast also if not to thick, then you van add the little yellow accents to the buildings. That way you can get the buildings to "stand up" above the cake with ease as well, just remember to paint the top of the backside of the building.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 5:38pm
post #4 of 7

My experience with Duff's is it is very stretchy and takes forever to dry out, even with gums added to it.

AnnieCahill Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 7:03pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks for the replies. I need it for a cake due next Friday. I wanted to use the pre-packaged stuff but maybe Duff's is not the way to go. Maybe I can order some Satin Ice and hopefully it will be here in time. I just hate to pay for the shipping. If the bakery orders it, it won't be here until Wednesday. I was hoping to make the pieces over the weekend.

icon_mad.gif

melanie-1221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanie-1221 Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 7:37pm
post #6 of 7

I used Duff's black fondant to make the buildings on my superhero cake . The pic is on my profile. I made them 1 week in advance, rolled them VERY thin, and let them lay out on a cookie sheet air to dry. They were just stiff enough to use. I was not 100% happy with the end result, but it did work in a pinch...Maybe you could mix it with the wilton you have left for a bit more stiffness.

AnnieCahill Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 7:52pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for the tip Melanie! I am still thinking about what I should do...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%