Air Force Cake...help!!

Decorating By oohlalacakes Updated 11 May 2011 , 12:54am by SARAHEMILY07

oohlalacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oohlalacakes Posted 11 Sep 2005 , 2:31am
post #1 of 7

Hi all,
I need to make a cake for this year's Air Force Ball and I want to carve it in the shape of the AF Symbol. I was thinking of somehow tiering it (I have no idea how to explain my idea so that it makes sense). I've drawn sketches and I can't seem to get it in my head what size pans to use to get the most use out of the cake (ie. less cut-away thrown out). The ball will have about 330 attending, but dessert comes with the meal and I don't see that many people eating cake. Despite that, it does need to be pretty good size. It's going to be sitting on a table with the same symbol carved in a 3 foot ice sculpture, so it would look kind of bad if it were too small sitting next to that. I was planning to do at least two layers, but beyond that, I can't think of how to do this.
Oh, and I'd really rather do a carved cake, not a sheet cake with the symbol on it. I plan to do it in BC and I'm going to attempt to use luster dust on the silver parts (and maybe the blue) to make it really stand out. I hope that works...I'll just die if the dust kills the BC. Thanks for any ideas any of you have.

usaribbon.gif Samantha
LL

6 replies
alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 11 Sep 2005 , 2:49am
post #2 of 7

OK - I have 2 ideas. Neither involve sculpted cake - I think you're going to have a lot of waste there no matter what size pan you use. On both, you could use whichever media you prefer - chocolate, fondant or gum paste-for the Air Force logo.

What if you did the sheet cake like a runway with your graphic raised an inch or so off the top of the cake angled to look like an airplane taking off?

Or you could do a tiered round cake (a little more involved, I know.) Maybe color it to look like sky, or silver. Then use 2 or 3 AF logos, standing up, to circle the top tier. Just to help you picture it, the top tier would look a bit like a crown, with the wings sticking up into the air. On this one, since you don't need soooo much cake, you could do a dummy on the bottom just to get some height.

Be sure to post a pic of the cake when you're done!

Ali

smcintosh2801 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smcintosh2801 Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 4:38pm
post #3 of 7

save

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 10:18pm
post #4 of 7

this might help:
LL

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 3:42am
post #5 of 7

Dang......Doug you're good!

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 3:31pm
post #6 of 7

Doug... you should rent out your cake planning services. You're good!

SARAHEMILY07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SARAHEMILY07 Posted 11 May 2011 , 12:54am
post #7 of 7

i am a begginer baker to say the least i would like to make this cake for my boyfriend for his birthday.. i have a couple questions though.. what is the best kind of cake to use? what is the best method of icing and how do you join the cakes so it looks seemless?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%