Baking With Silicone Over Traditional Pans

Decorating By barm1 Updated 19 Oct 2011 , 5:30pm by lorieleann

barm1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barm1 Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 12:48pm
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone. I'm new here so I apologize if this is a re-post. I'm just getting into baking and I was wondering which is better, baking using silicone pans or regular metal pans or does it really make a difference. thanks

3 replies
rhondab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhondab Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 1:11pm
post #2 of 4

just a hobby baker, so don't have all the answers, but one difference is that you get less brown crust in silicone than in metal. Another difference is that silicone is floppy - large silicone pans usually have to be supported with a baking pan to move them after being filled. I have silicone cupcake pans and use them in the microwave mostly.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 1:38pm
post #3 of 4

I tried silicone when they first came out, and quickly got rid of them all. No nice brown edges, unstable, hard to clean. Bad investment.

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 5:30pm
post #4 of 4

IMO nothing beats a light colored, heavy baking pan. If you are just staring out, get professional quality pans and they will last you for years. Fat Daddios and Magic Line are some of the best, and they really aren't more expensive than what you would pay for a dark (makes too dark a crust on light cakes), non-stick (every pan gets greased and floured anyway, so what's the point?) pan in the Target baking isle.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%