Cake Ball/pop Questions

Baking By tarabara Updated 20 Oct 2011 , 7:03am by Cricketina

tarabara Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 5:11am
post #1 of 6

So...a few things I'm not sure about when it comes to cake pops:

1) One of the mehods I've seen for making cake pops involves crumbling the cake, then mixing in buttercream or coffee creamer and shaping into balls, then placing in the freezer. Is that just to firm them up quickly or do they need to be kept in the freezer?

2) If you're freezing them to keep them for a little longer, isn't that a problem if you're making the pops from previously frozen cake? Or is it just meats and seafood you're not supposed to re-freeze? My understanding was that the rate of bacterial replication increases significantly the second time something is frozen and then thawed.

3) If you do put these in the fridge or freezer, how do you prevent condensation from forming on the chocolate?

Thanks to anyone who can help me with this!

5 replies
Cricketina Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 5:45am
post #2 of 6

This may not be completely re ur question but the cake balls that are crumbled with mixed in frosting and other things then frozen and unthawed tastes like rechewed up cake...compared to actual cake balls you can make in the cake ball pan or the baby cakes cake ball maker! The formed cake balls are fresher tasting like a real piece of cake or cupcake...

If you put the chocolate covered cake balls in the freezer you are going to have condensation it is a matter of science since they have been frozen they will sweat when they are unthawing as far as I know every time!

I would not take the chance to freeze then thaw then Re-freeze cake because of the dairy products sensitivity to temperature change ESP the eggs and the chance of bacteria forming is very possible and can be dangerous...I wouldn't take that chance...it is just safer to be fresh with our ingredients ! I have never thought of someone freezing thawing to room temp then freezing again for later consumption ...if I get pastries anywhere again I will make sure this is not something they practice..this especially scares me for small children !

I'm seriously not judging you or trying to be rude..honestly! I just feel if you go with the fresh whole cake balls you won't have all that problem of making them out of older product ...
You did Not say this was your practice! You were just getting opinions so I just gave my feeling on the subject as even you were afraid of the rate of bacteria replication! Maybe you were writing on behalf of someone elses practice and checking if it was safe? Either way great question and great luck with your baking

tarabara Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 6:03am
post #3 of 6

Nope, you guessed right! This is not how I make cake balls but after reading through a lot of
the threads here it seems that this is a frequently used method. Even Bakerella has such a recipe on her site and i have to give her mad props for being the cake pop queen so I hope no one thinks I'm dissing this
type of pop. Was thinking about giving it a try and wanted to investigate first. One of the threads I was reading on CC contained advice from people who said they made cake balls this way and they last amlong time in the freezer. Not something I would have done myself so was just looking for insight from someone who has this approach. Glad to see someone's on the same page as me though; I was worried I was way off base! Thanks for the help! Oh, and if you don't refrigerate your pops, how long do they last at room temp?

platinumlady Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 7:14am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarabara

So...a few things I'm not sure about when it comes to cake pops:

1) One of the mehods I've seen for making cake pops involves crumbling the cake, then mixing in buttercream or coffee creamer and shaping into balls, then placing in the freezer. Is that just to firm them up quickly or do they need to be kept in the freezer?

2) If you're freezing them to keep them for a little longer, isn't that a problem if you're making the pops from previously frozen cake? Or is it just meats and seafood you're not supposed to re-freeze? My understanding was that the rate of bacterial replication increases significantly the second time something is frozen and then thawed.

3) If you do put these in the fridge or freezer, how do you prevent condensation from forming on the chocolate?

Thanks to anyone who can help me with this!

Different people make their cake pops/balls different.

• I don't always use icing to mix with the cake...for the most part I use the moisture from the cake itself. (unless the flavor of icing plays into the flavor of the pop/ball.
    I never put mine in the freezer. I've had to refrigerate a couple times only because I was prepping them to dip later (an hour no more than 2 hours later) ( they were fully covered). Also I don't use the freezer because as you stated it could cause cracks in the chocolate or the moisture will find a way to seep out.
    After I make them I never put them in the Freezer because of the condensation and other reasons.

I will say I found a way that works best for me. And in essence you will find out what works for you as well

Rach82 Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 1:16pm
post #5 of 6

Hi

If I am in a hurry I will put my cake balls (crumbs mixed with buttercream) in the freezer for a short while to firm up, then stick the sticks in, in the fridge for a few minutes & then dip. I don't have to do this often as I prefer to use the fridge. The cake balls seem to leak & the candy cracks sometimes if they are frozen.

Rach

Cricketina Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 7:03am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarabara

Nope, you guessed right! This is not how I make cake balls but after reading through a lot of
the threads here it seems that this is a frequently used method. Even Bakerella has such a recipe on her site and i have to give her mad props for being the cake pop queen so I hope no one thinks I'm dissing this
type of pop. Was thinking about giving it a try and wanted to investigate first. One of the threads I was reading on CC contained advice from people who said they made cake balls this way and they last amlong time in the freezer. Not something I would have done myself so was just looking for insight from someone who has this approach. Glad to see someone's on the same page as me though; I was worried I was way off base! Thanks for the help! Oh, and if you don't refrigerate your pops, how long do they last at room temp?

I can't Imagine Bakerella making a thing wrong... icon_wink.gif I like her web site a lot and it is just a matter of taste & just because I don't like something doesn't mean it's wrong ! It's just my opinion...definitely a taste thing...I really don't like chocolate much either...lol and I know not every one shares that opinion! For sure.. Just like the different butter creams we all prefer! This site is great to bounce ideas off ideas kindly of course...some times it gets a lil tense when people disagree but I never have the attitude it's my way or the highway! That would make our world a boring place to live , have a great time baking and creating thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%