Need Chocolate Cake For A Tiered Wedding Cake

Baking By karukaru Updated 19 Oct 2011 , 12:22pm by karukaru

karukaru Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 3:15am
post #1 of 6

Hello everyone!
I have my first wedding cake on the 29th and I am so nervous. The groom (my dear friend) called me today and asked if we could change the flavor to a chocolate cake with raspberry filling. I am freaking out a little bit because of the late notice and because I normally do not make chocolate cakes (I don't like chocolate too much.) I have a recipe that rocks (a black russian cake- with vodka and Kahlua) but I don't think It will hold enough 3 tiers. Can you recommend a great recipe that it is sturdy enough for a 3 tier wedding cake? For the raspberry filling I was thinking of buying a ready made filling. Several of my local cake supplies stores sell many fillings so I was planning on buying this one although I have never tried it before. Any thoughts? Thank you in advance!

5 replies
southerncross Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 3:28am
post #2 of 6

I use Rose Levy's chocolate cake recipe for a three tiered wedding cake from her Cake Bible. It is seriously the best chocolate cake around and of course is geared for the tiered cake. I'm not a chocolate cake fan but this one rocks and I get rave reviews from all my customers. You really should get her book (I'm not a paid endorser either !)

karukaru Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 3:56am
post #3 of 6

Thanks! do you know if they have an ebook version? I am not sure if I will be able to get it on time to try it

mom2twogrlz Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 4:21am
post #4 of 6

Just a thought....if your cake is supported properly you can stack any recipe. LeahS swears by the SPS system. I am a hobbiest, so I haven't given it a try though. You only have to worry abou the weight if the cake is supporting the layers above. If the support system is what is holding it up, it doesn't matter what cake you use. In LeahS's can stack jello with the correct support system.

southerncross Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 11:28am
post #5 of 6

Sorry karu, but The Cake Bible isn't in kindle form ...yet. The problem with using any recipe for a three tier cake is that most of our scratch recipes are for 8 or 9" cakes. Some recipes just don't translate well if you triple or quadruple the recipe amounts...particularly the baking soda.

However, it is true that the SPS system is infallible when it comes to stacking and offering the best support possible to prevent collapse or toppling of the cake....just be prepared to lose some serving amounts due to the fairly significant holes that the posts leave in the cake....fair enough exchange for the for the peace of mind the SPS affords.

karukaru Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 12:22pm
post #6 of 6

So, would I be able to use ny black Russian recipe, which he loves, no matter what ad long as I use sps? Is it easy to use? I would probably need to get it ASAP because you can only get it online right?

Quote by @%username% on %date%