Decorate A Jello Mold To Look Like A Cake - Weight Watchers

Lounge By Stumped Updated 29 Oct 2011 , 4:23am by cabecakes

Stumped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stumped Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 2:35am
post #1 of 5

Hi,
My Church Ladies are doing Weight Watchers. I would like to do a cakefor a function. Any Ideas on a low point cake. I was thinking of making a round fruit jello and frosting with whip cream then decorating with butter cream. Any idead would be helpful.
Tnanks, I'm Stumped

4 replies
Kmm0880 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kmm0880 Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 2:53am
post #2 of 5

Not sure if you are a "scratch only" baker, but I have heard of a box of cake mix and a can of diet soda. You do not use eggs, butter, or oil....just soda. I am sure you can google it. It would be easy to figure points too. Also I have heard that you can use a can of pumpkin also instead of soda.

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 12:25pm
post #3 of 5

As an alternative to cake completley could you make fruit skewers stick them vertical like cake pops and make a "cake" that way? You could even make it tiered by sticking a foam (or something) circle on top of the skewers in the middle of the bottom round and then building another tier of skewers on that round. A small number of the pieces of fruit you could coat in chocolate for people who have points to spare icon_smile.gif
Hope that makes sense!!

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 3:27pm
post #4 of 5

As a Weight Watcher member, I can tell you, the majority of the "Points" are in the frosting/icing, NOT in the cake. Also, there is not much difference "points-wise" between buttercream and whipped cream icing.

You could also ask them what they would suggest. Something along the lines of "I'm making a cake for such-and-such function, and was wondering if you had any ideas or suggestions of what kind of cake would be appreciated." If you feel comfortable mentioning Weight Watchers, then go ahead and do so, but if not, it could be phrased that way.

Personally, as a Weight Watcher member, it's my decision whether to partake of a cake (or whatever sweet is there), and if I don't want to count the points for it, then I don't eat it. This is just my opinion, and I know it's not how everyone is. For what it's worth, a normal (wedding size) slice of cake (with frosting and filling) is in the neighborhood of 14-16 Points depending on what the filling is. A unfrosted, unfilled piece of cake the same size is approx 4-6 Points.

A less-pointy option might be to bake a regular box mix (using the soda if you wish, or as per the box directions) in a bundt style pan and then drizzle a glaze over it - not coating it completely, but just a zig-zagged drizzle over it. If I saw that and another regularly decorated cake, and I wanted the less-pointy option, I'd go for the bundt style with significantly less icing on it. Just my opinion though.

~Chelle

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 29 Oct 2011 , 4:23am
post #5 of 5

Why couldn't you do a sugar-free cake with a can of soda. Then you would be minus not only the oil, but also the sugar. You could also do a sugar-free frosting. Walmart carries a sugar-free cake mix and frosting that is really good. I tried it out on my co-workers and family just to see if they would know it was sugar-free, but not one person did until I told them. I don't know how this would trade out in Weight Watcher points, but I'm almost positive it would have to be better then regular cake and frosting. I used the chocolate sugar-free cake and frosting. I don't remember the brand, but I believe it was Duncan Hines.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%