Fondant Help!!!!

Decorating By Daani Updated 19 Oct 2011 , 7:42pm by Daani

Daani Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 8:19pm
post #1 of 6

Hi!
I have an order for a plane themed cake this weekend for a 2 year old and wanted to decorate it with airplanes made with fondant...this is my first time working with fondant and was wondering how early can I start with getting the decorations ready? Does fondant dry out? Please help!!! Thank You!!!!!

5 replies
Moovaughan Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 8:39pm
post #2 of 6

Depending on the size you probably should have started last week to allow for drying time. Are you making small solid fondant planes? or are you making the plains out of another medium and covering them in fondant?

debbief Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 8:44pm
post #3 of 6

You can start working on them now. If you don't want them to dry out, cover them with plastic wrap or put them in a ziplock bag. No need to refridgerate. If you want them to dry put them in a container where they will be free from dust but so air can get to them. Also if you are looking for them to get hard and hold their shape, you can add a bit of tylose to the fondant. That will allow them to dry faster and harder.

Daani Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 8:52pm
post #4 of 6

Thank You So much!!! I'm planning on cutting out shapes of the airplanes and placing one airplane model made with fondant with a fondant banner on top.

Moovaughan Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 7:14pm
post #5 of 6

Okay, it looks as though you are talking about flat cut out airplanes. If so, you can cut them out early and keep them soft between sheets of plastic wrap and then in tupperware or a zip lock bag, then you can just apply a little water or gel to them to adhere them to the cake when your ready for them.

If you were doing 3D then you would start them at least a week before you need them so they would have time to dry to keep their shape.

Daani Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 7:42pm
post #6 of 6

Thank You! I'm planning on doing them today...very excited!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%