60 Year Old Cake Decorator

Decorating By audreygb Updated 18 Oct 2011 , 9:52pm by Apti

audreygb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audreygb Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 8:05pm
post #1 of 11

Hi all,

just wondering if anyone has any ideas what cake i can make to celebrate a 60th birthday of a lady who also makes cakes. I have a request from her daughter but she doesnt know what she wants!

10 replies
jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 8:15pm
post #2 of 11

Well, first of all, she probably won't want cake. What about an assortment of pies/cookies/brownies?

ReneeFLL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReneeFLL Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 8:26pm
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgifford

Well, first of all, she probably won't want cake. What about an assortment of pies/cookies/brownies?

That sounds like a good idea, but regardless if it is a cake, cookies, pie, etc she will probably just be happy that she did not have to spend all the time and effort into making it.

You should also be proud that you were asked to make a cake for another cake decorator. I doubt that the daughter would just pick anyone to make her moms cake.

dogwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogwood Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 8:56pm
post #4 of 11

I just wanted to say that I would love it if someone ordered me a custom cake for my birthday. Even though I make cakes for other people I really don't get to eat them very often. I usually get a cake from Walmart or Kroger and am disappointed in it.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 8:57pm
post #5 of 11

It's been many years since I wanted to eat cake.

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 9:03pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwood

I just wanted to say that I would love it if someone ordered me a custom cake for my birthday. Even though I make cakes for other people I really don't get to eat them very often. I usually get a cake from Walmart or Kroger and am disappointed in it.

Me, too! My sister got me a single layer white cake from the grocery store for my birthday last month. Bummer. thumbsdown.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 9:04pm
post #7 of 11

<-- hey, you're making me a cake?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 9:30pm
post #8 of 11

leah - you havent filled out yhour profile so we dont know when that special day is icon_smile.gif

Mine is in a few weeks - anyone what to make me a small *1* serving out of this world beautiful creation? Hahaha

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 9:37pm
post #9 of 11

I'm the family cake decorator (hobbyist) and I never get cake. I would be thrilled if someone took the time to custom design and bake/decorate a cake for me.

I have a severe nut allergy on top of it so I can't even get grocery store cakes. BUT I'M NOT BITTER! *whips spatula at wall*

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 9:41pm
post #10 of 11

I realize that my post was off topic.

If you want to focus on her cake decorating (as opposed to other interests she has), how about a sheet cake with a fondant apron draped over it? In the pockets of the apron you can put little fondant tools or something poking out that represents another one of her interests?

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 9:52pm
post #11 of 11

tsal, you made me laugh....

audreyGB--I like tsal's idea. We are always trying to put stuff on a cake that represents the hobby/interests/career of that person. She'd probably really enjoy a cake with cake decorating tools made out of fondant.

You could ice a sheet cake as though it was a counter with a cake in progress. Your could place a small 4" cake near the corner of the sheet cake that is crumb coated, a rolling pin on a piece of flattened fondant, tiny gum paste flowers, a fondant bow off to the side, a powdered sugar "pouf", etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%