How Long Will An Isomalt Show Piece Last

Sugar Work By LisaPeps Updated 19 Oct 2011 , 5:32pm by LisaPeps

LisaPeps Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 7:47pm
post #1 of 5

I'm entering a cake competition next month. I've made most of my isomalt sugar pieces (bubbles and birds) and I'm storing them with silica gel at the minute. I'm just wondering how long they will last uncovered in a competition environment (lights and such) before it starts wilting? This competition lasts 3 days, will it last that long? Also what's the best way to attach the bubbles and birds to the cake?

I'd appreciate any advice!

4 replies
Marianna46 Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 3:34am
post #2 of 5

How's the humidity where you are? I don't think spotlights are hot enough to affect it, but humidity is a killer - it will cause them to cloud up quite quickly (I know this because I live in the most humid place on Earth).

LisaPeps Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 7:20am
post #3 of 5

Here's what it says for the next 14 days for where I am . It certainly doesn't feel humid to me but it says on that website ranges from 60-80%.

In going to spray the pieces with confectioners glaze as I heard that helps with the stickiness.

Any ideas on how to glue them to the fondant covered cake?

Marianna46 Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 2:18pm
post #4 of 5

That's quite humid! I totally wilt when it gets to about 70% (of course, the heat is a factor here, too). I hope the confectioner's glaze works for you. It's not only the runniness, but the fact that your sparklers will cloud up with the humidity, so this might serve to seal them. What are you covering your cake in - BC or fondant? If it's BC, I'd use RI tinted to the same color. If it's fondant, I'd go for either RI or melted chocolate, also trying to get a shade close to your cake surface, so the glue doesn't show through your sugar pieces. Either one of these is fast drying (the chocolate even more so) and holds things on tight. Best of luck in the competition. Please post us a pic when your cake is done - it sounds beautiful!

LisaPeps Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 5:32pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for your help Marianna

Quote by @%username% on %date%