Bubble Tea Straws??

Decorating By dawnybird Updated 24 Oct 2011 , 8:29pm by bakingkat

dawnybird Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 7:13pm
post #1 of 14

Hi. I've seen several mentions of using "bubble tea straws" for supports in cakes. I've never heard of them. What are they and where do you get them. Oh, and how do you use them? Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to learn!

13 replies
QTCakes1 Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 7:22pm
post #2 of 14

Okay first, LOVE THEM!!! They are really wide straws, meant for drinking with that tapioca tea, hence why they are so wide. You use them like you use regular cake dowels, easier and cleaner cut. You can order them off Ebay. And last, but not least, I have stacked a 5-tier cake before with them with no problems. Yes folks, thats a 12-10-8-6-4 tiered cake. icon_biggrin.gif HTH

huskerfan Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 7:36pm
post #3 of 14

Got mine at Bed Bath and Beyond....love using them!

ReneeFLL Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 7:43pm
post #4 of 14

I have also gotten mine at BB & B, but lately I can only find the colorful ones. Anyone see the white ones lately?

cakegirl1973 Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 9:13pm
post #5 of 14

You can buy them off of E-Bay, too. I love them!

countrycaker Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 4:42am
post #6 of 14

I actually use smoothie straws which I get at Walmart, but I'm not sure how they compare with the bubble tea straws. Another local cake decorator clued me in on the smoothie straws and I am in her debt. I love them! I imagine they're similar to the bubble tea straws but I wasn't able to find those. Could be they were right in front of my face and I looked right past them. icon_lol.gif Sometimes I do that.

Tails Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 9:27am
post #7 of 14

Also try any chinese foodmarkets in your area, since the Milk Tea with the tapioca is mainyl an asian drink icon_smile.gif

Occther Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 10:37am
post #8 of 14

I purchased them at Restaurant Depot. I have also seen them at Panera Bread - for their smoothies. Maybe they would sell you some. I just transported a three tier cake with bubble tea straws and a center dowel over 1 1/2 hour drive. Arrived perfectly.

bikemom3 Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 11:32am
post #9 of 14

If all else fails and you can't find them locally, you can order packages of them from amazon.com. They cost less than $4. I LOVE using them

Serena4016 Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 12:42pm
post #10 of 14

Got mine on Amazon.com also!!

blessedist Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 1:18pm
post #11 of 14

I went to a random asian market I pass by near my job. I got maybe 200 straws for $2...they are great! Call the markets in your area or just go in 1 and ask them, they'll know what you need

dawnybird Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 5:22pm
post #12 of 14

Just got back fro a trip and found all of your answers. Thanks so much for taking the time! People on this site are generally so helpful and sweet!

BGchef Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 8:00pm
post #13 of 14

I was weary of the idea of straws holding up my cakes, but after reading so much praise of bubble tea straws on CC, I ordered some and decided to give it a try.. To anyone who's doubtful: these babies are STRONG. And sooo much easier to cut and cheaper than wooden dowels.. I am thrilled to have found this method and I am never going back to dowels again (except for center dowelling the whole cake cuz the straws obviously aren't long enough or able to cut thru cakeboards). The only small little drawback though is that you lose some cake in the middle of the straws.. But like someone else said, for kids it's a treat to suck the cake out of em icon_smile.gif

I ordered a pack of 50 on amazon for 5 bucks and free shipping.

bakingkat Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 8:29pm
post #14 of 14

Restaurant depot has them for like 80cents a pack and the asian marts near me have them for like a buck as well. I'll never go back to anything else.

Quote by @%username% on %date%