What Tools Do You Use To Make Your Figures?

Decorating By wannabe_cake_maker Updated 20 Oct 2011 , 3:23pm by wannabe_cake_maker

wannabe_cake_maker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wannabe_cake_maker Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 6:00pm
post #1 of 8

I am especially interested in the particular tools used to make faces and heads for people and animals. I have the Wilton gumpaste kit but I definately need more tools to correctly make faces and heads with. Any suggestions?

I know PME is a good brand but what specific tool is good to do what with? Example, the PME scallop and comb tool is good for what??

7 replies
wannabe_cake_maker Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 1:15am
post #2 of 8

Anyone??

eringm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eringm Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 1:47am
post #3 of 8

Hi wannabe_cake_maker,
See if this video helps you out. Hope the link works.

http://thesugarlane.com/2008/11/17/how-to-make-a-fondantgumpaste-face-for-your-figurine/

knlcox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knlcox Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 2:19am
post #4 of 8

Here's a link from the same site that eringf posted explaining what tools she uses for her figures. HTH!
http://thesugarlane.com/donnas-favorite-cake-decorating-sculpting-tools/

bikemom3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bikemom3 Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 2:19am
post #5 of 8

I have the Wilton gum paste tools too and use them to make all of my figures. Try looking for some basic sculpting videos...I learned a lot from polymer clay sculpting tips/videos. The best tip is to use tylosein your fondant. You don't need anything fancy just your hands....good luck

countrycaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycaker Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 4:36am
post #6 of 8

I use tools that I found in the clay sculpting department of the craft store. Also, one of my most frequently used tools is one of those thread unpicker things that you can buy in the sewing department. I use both the smooth, curved side and the sharp, pointy side. I'm always looking in unusual places for tools. icon_biggrin.gif

Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 4:54am
post #7 of 8

I asked my dentist for his old tools, He gave me several different shapes and sizes all stainless steel. I got them for free and they have been some of my favorite tools. Don't worry they were sterile icon_smile.gif

wannabe_cake_maker Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 3:23pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks everyone, the links you gave are great sources of info. I think I will be takign a trip down the clay aisle at Michael's in the next few days. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%