Americolor Electric Pink...can I Eat It???

Decorating By sanmarco5 Updated 19 Oct 2011 , 7:59pm by BlakesCakes

sanmarco5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sanmarco5 Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 9:50am
post #1 of 11

OK, I am in UK & just bought americolor electric pink, it comes with a little note saying it is NOT edible, due to some of the ingredients not being food safe in UK.(the same with all the americolor electric colors)
Does that mean that in USA it is Ok to eat? I want it for a cake I am making for a family member & although we can remove the pink bits, someone might forget and eat a bit, will it matter?

Thanks x

10 replies
Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 10:19am
post #2 of 11

Not sure. I just used it in a cake this weekend. (No one has gotten sick yet.) But you can't sell "dragees" in California. Apparently, if you eat too many, they can be toxic. And they are not supposed to be consumed in other parts of the US. (Gee - I used to love these when we decorated Christmas cookies when I was growing up.)

Panel7124 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Panel7124 Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 10:24am
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmarco5

OK, I am in UK & just bought americolor electric pink, it comes with a little note saying it is NOT edible, due to some of the ingredients not being food safe in UK.(the same with all the americolor electric colors)
Does that mean that in USA it is Ok to eat? I want it for a cake I am making for a family member & although we can remove the pink bits, someone might forget and eat a bit, will it matter?

Thanks x

I've got a reply from my cake decoration supplier when I asked about supplying US colors (Americolor, Chefmaster) and jimmies and sprinkles:

''Colours: Sugarflair will remain the main brand. Perhaps I can find other brands types of colours in the future, but I doubt I'll be getting colours from the USA (because of the forbidden Es and also the occasional use of genetically manipulated ingredients - it's just a hassle to find out what's exactly in these products - as well as the transport costs).

Jimmies, sprinkles: Will look around for more variety. Don't expect the same choice as in the US, however. There are food colour restrictions in Switzerland and the EU - notably FD&C #3 (E127), a wonderful red pigment which is used for pinks, reds, blues, violets. It's non-toxic, and is used in the coloured covering of a certain brand of iron tablets for pregnant ladies as well as in maraschino cherries. It is not permitted for use in confectionery - make what you will of that icon_rolleyes.gif ''

Apparently there are some EU laws that consider US colors (or some of them) not edible. IMO if it's considered safe in the US, I'd eat it anyway - in small quantities and not everyday. Or as you said, try to remove as much colored bits as possible and eat the rest. HTH

sanmarco5 Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 11:32am
post #4 of 11

Thanks for your help x

sanmarco5 Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 11:32am
post #5 of 11

Thanks for your help x

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 4:36am
post #6 of 11

Silly, isn't it?

There are SugarFlair colors that are considered inedible in the US.......Americolor colors considered indedible in the UK.............

You can color your entire batch of fondant with Americolor neon pink and eat it all and it won't affect you one little bit.
We Yanks do it all the time and we're still just fine. icon_wink.gif

Too much moronic bureaucracy trying to protect us all from ourselves.

Rae

sanmarco5 Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 7:34am
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Silly, isn't it?

There are SugarFlair colors that are considered inedible in the US.......Americolor colors considered indedible in the UK.............

You can color your entire batch of fondant with Americolor neon pink and eat it all and it won't affect you one little bit.
We Yanks do it all the time and we're still just fine. icon_wink.gif

Too much moronic bureaucracy trying to protect us all from ourselves.

Rae

I coloured some fondant with it last night, fantastic colour (nothing like that in UK colours) but my hands are so stained! also dont think i will be eating much as it doesnt taste great either!.

Thanks though good to know that I dont have to be too careful with it!!!

Thanks again x

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 7:47am
post #8 of 11

Umm, I live in the EU and I can buy Americolor (in fact it's all I use), and there has never been a non-edible warning issued with it here.

Then again I'm a rebel, I use and eat disco glitter, silver balls, all that so called 'bad' stuff, and I'm still here to tell the tale icon_wink.gif.

sanmarco5 Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 8:05am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRowesHunny

Umm, I live in the EU and I can buy Americolor (in fact it's all I use), and there has never been a non-edible warning issued with it here.

Then again I'm a rebel, I use and eat disco glitter, silver balls, all that so called 'bad' stuff, and I'm still here to tell the tale icon_wink.gif.

Yeah I bought it from UK, (ebay) but the bright ones, have a warning, came with a printed slip, and have seen it on various web sites too Its just the electric colours though.

states - Please note these gel colours are not EU approved for use with food as they use sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate as preservatives, some also contain the colour E127 which is no longer permitted in food products.

These gels are therefore sold as non-edible and only suitable for non-edible craft projects.

YOu would recommend americolor then? I dont think sugarflair ones are great, not really nice colours. For example I often have trouble finding blue ribbon to math the blue sugarflair colours

What are their red & blacks like?

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 9:05am
post #10 of 11

LOVE Americolor, the red and black cannot be beaten (no icky taste as they are so concentrated you don't need to use loads). Take a look at my photos, it's all Americolor, I have been using it for several years.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 7:59pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmarco5

I coloured some fondant with it last night, fantastic colour (nothing like that in UK colours) but my hands are so stained! also dont think i will be eating much as it doesnt taste great either!.

Truth be told, if you saturate fondant with ANY color--blue, yellow, etc.--it won't taste that good.

Some fondants are more translucent than others--they have less titanium dioxide in them--and it's harder to get them to take color, so the more you add, the worse it tastes.

As for the color on your hands, if you rub your hands liberally with white vegetable fat/Trex, you'll find that you get much less staining.

The best way to get your hands clean is to wash your hair. Works like a charm.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%