Ques. About Modeling Chocolate?

Decorating By KMKakes Updated 18 Oct 2011 , 6:49pm by gmfcakes

KMKakes Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 9:39am
post #1 of 6

I have never used modeling chocolate before but I am considering using it for a little larger than most cake topper figure. I have read that this product gets soft at room temperature. Does this modeling chocolate repond similar to gumpaste when making figures or will the figure made out of modeling chocolate swag eventually at room temp.? I am needing to make a upper torso of batman to place in the center of a round cake yet I want something that will hold it's shape and something that will not be so heavy that it sinks through the cake. Can I cover RKT with it or should I stick with fondant or gumpaste?

5 replies
cupadeecakes Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 1:29pm
post #2 of 6

Weight-wise, modeling chocolate is probably heavier than fondant. It will hold it's shape well, but it is still pliable / malleable, unlike gumpaste. It won't crack like fondant will either. I wouldn't worry about melting unless it's going to be in extreme temps.

But if your real worry is the topper sinking into the cake, just place some supports in the cake (straws, dowels, etc) to support the weight of the topper.

KMKakes Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 4:31pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks cupadeecakes!

Would covering RKT in modeling chocolate be better as far as structure/support of the figure? Or would using all modeling chocolate for batman be better?

gmfcakes Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 4:51pm
post #4 of 6

I just made my first figures with Modeling chocolate (it was helloKitty) but I believe that RKT would be lighter than to use only modeling chocolate. Just like the previous post it is similar to fondant, but I found it easier to work with.

KMKakes Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 5:20pm
post #5 of 6

gmfcakes: How did you get the colors needed to make your hellokitty modeling chocolate figure?

"but I believe that RKT would be lighter than to use only modeling chocolate"
I didn't quite understand what you were saying..... so are you saying that making a batman figure out of 1. rkt and fondant will be better than an all 2.modeling chocolate figure or 3.modeling chocolate covered rkt figure?

gmfcakes Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 6:49pm
post #6 of 6

I kneaded it in after it set, I used americolor gel paste, but don't use too much because a little goes a long way. And I think on one of them I used to much and I had to let it set again once I incorporated it all, but it was still fine.

Yes I meant modeling chocolate over the RKT. I think I've read you can combine fondant and modeling chocolate, but I have not tried it yet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%