Cupcake Weddings - I'm Trying To Keep My Cool Here

Baking By FromScratchSF Updated 17 Oct 2011 , 11:25pm by zukie1977

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 10:25pm
post #1 of 8

I really hate cupcake weddings. icon_mad.gif

Every single one I've done so far I tell the bride that the stands need to be at the venue and set up for me when I arrive. Every bride has told me "no problem".

I have YET to have a cupcake wedding where this has happened. After a few times of showing up and having to spend I don't know how long putting together stands, I added a clause to my contract stating that cupcakes stands are to be assembled and ready for when I arrive. Yeah, that did nothing, I was still putting together stands. Then I added a fee for putting together stands, have the clause bolded and they need to initial. Well guess what? I'm being tasked at the last minute to not only put together the stand, but they need me to take it to the venue. And worst of all, the timing of set-up is 2 hours later then the bride originally told me. Florist isn't going to be there, coordinator isn't going to be there, and I've got another wedding booked that day later in the afternoon. I literally will not have any time for any of this if I am going to make my other wedding on time.

So I ask my CC pals, what do you do with your CC weddings? Do you mess with the stands? I don't rent them out, I don't have storage for all that. But do you put them together and decorate them just as your normal course of business? What do you do when bride tells you and you have a contract that says set up will be X then a week prior to the wedding set up is no where near what time they told you???

I really don't know what to do with this one!

7 replies
mariacakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariacakestoo Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 10:30pm
post #2 of 8

Hang in there. Cupcakes will die soon, all of them. Except cute little 2 doze orders. I can handle those.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 10:41pm
post #3 of 8

I would simply deliver the cupcakes...If there is no stand or not one set up..the cupcakes get left there in the box.not set up..Period..If you already have it in your contract and they initial it...There isn't much else to do..Why should you become Joe Handy...it's all there in black and white in your contract...

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 10:55pm
post #4 of 8

I agree with Kiddiekakes. Change your contract to say specifically state, if the cupcake stand is not at the location and set up UPON ARRIVAL, cupcakes will be left at the venue in bakery boxes. Or your other option is to upcharge your wedding cupcakes. Make it so that either you are charging enough to cover your time and frustration knowing full well the stand will not be set up or set the price so high, that it covers your time and frustration and reduces the number of cupcake weddings you end up doing.

In this particular case, I would tell them NO. The contract states you they stand is to be provided constructed at the venue. You may need to word it as follows "Such and such bakery is will NOT provide, transport or construct any cupcake stands."
Honestly you sound like you're being really nice... which I appreciate in a friend but it's time to do as IndyDebi would tell...put your big girl panties on and just say NO!

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 11:14pm
post #5 of 8

oh goodness, preach it sista. I hate cupcake weddings too. And I don't have to deal with the headaches you're mentioning- I have my stand that I use and charge for.
And I STILL hate them.

I agree that you may need to either find someone to put the cupcake stand together and put the cupcakes on, or tell the bride SHE can find someone. If this was already discussed, then it should be HER problem.

I always budget an hour or two for cupcake setups. I just upped my cupcake charges to 2.00 per cupcake, which is pretty much unheard of around here, and guess what? No one is ordering cupcakes for weddings from me!

Darn, wish I would have thought of it 2 years ago!

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 11:19pm
post #6 of 8

If you're having to do all the work anyway, why not buy a cupcake stand and charge the client the rental and setup fees? icon_lol.gif

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 11:22pm
post #7 of 8

I would tell the bride you have 2 delivery and setup fee options. The first is that I arrive and place your cupcakes on your already constructed stand. The second is that I arrive and construct the stand and then place the cupcakes on. If you choose the first one and the stand is not set up, I will leave your boxed up cupcakes sitting on the appropriate table, as you have not paid me to stay and construct your stand.

I tell people all the time, time is money. If I can have your cake completely built and do a "drop and run", then the delivery fee is lower. If I have to place cupcakes, bring separate cakes and stack them differently, place 400 roses between your tiers... that will cost more. I charge $100 per hour round trip for delivery and setup. I tried to come up with some fee, then mileage, time, parking fees and all that, but it always ended up being around $100 per hour. So, to set up a stand for an hour would be an extra $100. If that fee wasn't paid before hand, then the time would not be spent.

zukie1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zukie1977 Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 11:25pm
post #8 of 8

Never had a cupcake wedding before but have been pricing them here in Scotland. problem is when you price it, someone always knows a friend or someone who will do it for them. i know they are easy to make, but people dont understand the quaility is what you pay for. anyway, grumble over. I would just leave the box there and let them sort it out. norm the catering stff deal with it anyway.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%