Wilton Giant Cupcake

Decorating By nancysmom Updated 19 Oct 2011 , 9:55pm by ajwonka

nancysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancysmom Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 10:08pm
post #1 of 12

How do I go about making the bottom of the cupcake out of fondant? I would appreciate any help. icon_biggrin.gif

11 replies
poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 1:45am
post #2 of 12

I've never made one from fondant, but I can help you make it out of chocolate/candy melts. They turn out really cute with nice sharp creases.
Here's one I did:

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2068977

nancysmom Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 2:17am
post #3 of 12

Poohsmomma, I love it. Your cake is beautiful. Could you please tell me how you made the cupcake mold out of chocolate melts. Thank you very much. icon_biggrin.gif

poohsmomma Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 12:39pm
post #4 of 12

I actually have a Nordic Ware pan, not a Wilton, but they're about the same. I just melted some candy melts, poured a little in the pan and rolled the pan around so the melted goo covered the entire pan. I used a paint brush to pull it up the sides. Also-You need to gently tap the pan on the counter to work out any air bubbles before you put it into the fridge. I repeated this to give it two coats and make sure it was covered well. I tapped it gently upside down on the counter and it popped right out...well the second one popped right out, the first one split!
I didn't actually bake a cake in the pan. I used a decorating bag to squirt some icing into the bottom of the finished shell and set a 6 " cake inside. I added a little more icing and another layer that I had trimmed to have a rounded top. That's what I put the rosettes on as the cupcake top.
Hope this helps.

SammieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 1:07pm
post #5 of 12

I just made a candy shell for the first time, and it wa super easy! Same process she used. I did bake a cake in the bottom pan though, then carve down. I filed the cake first, then placed icing in the shell, set the cake in, then piped icing inside around it. Was quick and super easy!

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2182712

funtodecorate2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funtodecorate2 Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 1:31pm
post #6 of 12

I just bought the cupcake pan yesterday . Great pics and ideas. Thanks, can't wait to give it a try

nancysmom Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 11:11pm
post #7 of 12

thank you all very much for all the great tips. I will give it a try. icon_biggrin.gif

yums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yums Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 11:42pm
post #8 of 12

I think its easier to bake the cake, then pour chocolate ganache over it and let it harden.

CakesByTheSugarCains Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByTheSugarCains Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 1:01am
post #9 of 12

I loved your cake Poohsmama and I really liked the inventive way to cover it! I would have thought fondant was the easiest and prettiest way to cover, but that was really awesome! Will have to try it soon! The ganache would probably be really easy too... thanks for some great ideas!

poohsmomma Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 1:14am
post #10 of 12

Thanks, but it's not my idea....read about it here on CC.

Dani1081 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dani1081 Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 1:53am
post #11 of 12

I have done it both ways - covered with fondant and also trimmed down and put inside a shell made from candy melts. Both ways work great. The fondant method requires a very thin layer of buttercream - just enough for the fondant to stick to and then you have to use a dowel or something to accentuate those ridges. Have fun!

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 9:55pm
post #12 of 12

My picture is hideous because it'd been out in the heat of the party by the time they took a picture of it:

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2175325

But, I covered the bottom with fondant & pinched together to make the "pleats" of a cupcake liner.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%