Need Help: How To Make Cake Topper Rotate

Decorating By BakingJeannie Updated 21 Oct 2011 , 3:05pm by BakingJeannie

BakingJeannie Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 7:45pm
post #1 of 11

Hi fellow bakers and decorators:

I have a cake making for my nephew and it's a Scar Face theme. I'm making the globe with the three figures holding it and it will be the topper on a double stacked 10x10 cake. I would love to make the globe topper rotate on the cake.

Anyone could direct me to where I could purchase the motor to make the rotation device? Also tips on how to assemble it onto the top of cake.

I would appreciate any help. My cake is due for his party at the Hard Rock Cafe this Friday.

Cheers!

Jeannie

10 replies
lilcakebaker Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 12:11am
post #2 of 11

Well, my husband builds all my lights and moving parts so I'll do the best I can do to help.

I know that he purchased the motor at Radio shack along with the battery pack. He is currently making me a taffy puller (did I mention how much I love my husband and his abilities LOL) As soon as he comes in from the garage I'll try to ask him more details about it. I had foot surgery today and cant run out there.

BakingJeannie Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 12:55am
post #3 of 11

Thank you very much. I went to the hobby store and it seems I need an engineering degree to assemble one. The store clerk did say I could find something at Circuit City.

Well, I'll just wait to hear from you.

Cheers!

Jeannie

BakingJeannie Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 12:56am
post #4 of 11

Thank you very much. I went to the hobby store and it seems I need an engineering degree to assemble one. The store clerk did say I could find something at Circuit City.

Well, I'll just wait to hear from you.

Cheers!

Jeannie

lilcakebaker Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 1:07am
post #5 of 11

Basically you need a DC motor, control switch, battery pack and wires....He explained it but you know how guys are. So.... I You-tubed simple DC motors and they have a ton of explinations on there. So you can get a visual I would try to find one that looks like it would fit your needs best. I'll continue to look and see if I can come up with any more help!

lilcakebaker Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 1:08am
post #6 of 11

Basically you need a DC motor, control switch, battery pack and wires....He explained it but you know how guys are. So.... I You-tubed simple DC motors and they have a ton of explinations on there. So you can get a visual I would try to find one that looks like it would fit your needs best. I'll continue to look and see if I can come up with any more help!

BakingJeannie Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 1:45am
post #7 of 11

Wonderful! I was looking at motorized lazy susan, but did not get much information. I will look out for your videos to...in the meantime I will get YouTube educated.

Cheers!

Lcubed82 Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 2:18am
post #8 of 11

What would we do without Cake Central and YouTube!!!!

lilcakebaker Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 2:22am
post #9 of 11

ah ha! found something that might help you

http://www.youtube.com/user/09165067633?feature=grec_index#p/u/1/jHzCLILnSoM

try this!

lilcakebaker Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 2:25am
post #10 of 11

ah ha! found something that might help you

www.youtube.com/user/09165067633?feature=grec_index#p/u/1/jHzCLILnSoM

try this!

www.usaturntable.com

BakingJeannie Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 3:05pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks a bunch for the YouTube link. I will try the turntable for the car because the cake topper won't be very heavy. Will post a picture when done.

Cheers! You have been so helpful.

Jeannie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%