What's The Best Way To Make Gold-Colored Fondant?

Decorating By bubbleschik11 Updated 21 Oct 2011 , 4:19am by Cakegirl313

bubbleschik11 Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 4:51am
post #1 of 6

Need to make a cake with gold accents, what is the best way to get a true gold color?

5 replies
Sugarflowers Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 5:08am
post #2 of 6

Start with yellow fondant and spray it with gold luster dust spray. I use canned air because the jars hold more color and I'm just hosing down the cake anyway. I mix the luster dust with Everclear (grain alcohol).

Spray the cake like you are spray painting - say... a chair. Keep the spray moving to prevent runs, let it dry, then hose it down again. It may take several coats to get the depth of color you want.

bubbleschik11 Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 5:13am
post #3 of 6

Maybe I'll practice before I actually need it for that cake. Thank you!

carolinagirlcakes Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 5:48am
post #4 of 6

I painted an anchor gold for a navy cake and it would great. If it is just accents and not the whole cake painting could be an easy option.

(pictures in my gallery)

MikeRowesHunny Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 9:11am
post #5 of 6

Colour your fondant gold (Americolor have a 'gold'), and then paint the accents with lustre dust mixed with vodka. I just did a cake for a golden wedding anniversary that way.

Cakegirl313 Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 4:19am
post #6 of 6

I would def. paint the fondant using luster dust. I would either use the super gold or I actually like the way Astec gold looks when painted on. Just depends on now shiney you want it to look. Just make sure that you attach the pieces you are painting to the cake first and then paint them. You shouldn't touch them once they are painted. The gold tends to rub off on your hands.

Quote by @%username% on %date%