Do You Charge To Design?

Business By Kaykaymay Updated 18 Oct 2011 , 2:22am by costumeczar

Kaykaymay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaykaymay Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 3:31am
post #1 of 5

I'm curious, do any of you charge more if you have to design a cake as opposed to a cake where the client knows exactly what they want?

I work for a place that makes signs and we have an artwork charge. It makes sense because some ppl come in and they have all their artwork done so all we have to do is print and make the sign but other people have an idea of what they want but we still have to do their artwork. Sometimes there is a little back and fourth before we come up with a design they are pleased with and off course this is an extra step and requires extra artistic skill and I don't think it's any different with cake. what are your thoughts?

4 replies
MCurry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCurry Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 3:54am
post #2 of 5

No I don't. I also don't know of anyone else who does this either. People charge for a tasting is common but the design discussion is part of the appointment. This type of charge would be new news to me. If someone is requesting more complicated designs or makes multiple changes, then the final price would and should be adjusted to reflect that. So end the end you would be indirectly be charging for it. It also comes down to the time it would take to do something regardless of whether they come in with something or you have to come up with a design based on their input.

I can't wait to hear what others say.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 7:05pm
post #3 of 5

I don't, but I would LOVE to. I work for hours at times configuring the sizes to get the cake the correct number of servings, and then designing the cake or figuring out how I am going to do it when someone brings me a pic. I would like to charge a "design fee", just a flat amount of like $30 or so.... thumbsdown.gif But I probably won't because not many people do.

Kaykaymay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaykaymay Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 11:43pm
post #4 of 5

Then what happens if someone gets you to sketch a design and then they cancel. All that work for nothing. I was looking at "Sunday Sweets" yesterday and it would take me weeks to come up with anything close to those designs so its definitely a skill on its own. I can see a costumer not understanding/wanting to pay for this but I think its worth money.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 2:22am
post #5 of 5

No, most people have an idea and I'll work with them, but I consider that part of doing business. I also don't have over sketches before they book, though. I make notes about what the design will be like on the contract, and if they want a sketch I'll do one, but I usually don't.

Personally, I like to be a little more fluid when I'm actually decorating the cake. if I'm copying a picture or a sketch it kind of locks me in to what's on the paper. If I'm decorating and I think that something will look better by doing it slightly differently I like to be able to do that. If I have a sketch then it would make me feel like I had to do what was in the sketch regardless of the reality in front of me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%