Bakery Shop Icing

Decorating By kakesbyrobin Updated 14 Sep 2005 , 8:43pm by auzzi

kakesbyrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakesbyrobin Posted 11 Sep 2005 , 12:47am
post #1 of 8

Has anybody made the Bakery Shop Icing thats on this site?

I have made it twice and both times the stuff melts as I am spreading it and it slides off the spatula. icon_cry.gif

I really like the taste because it is not too sweet. icon_smile.gif

It is horrible for icing cakes icon_razz.gif ,but it is great as a cream puff filling. icon_wink.gif

7 replies
missmersh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmersh Posted 11 Sep 2005 , 1:34am
post #2 of 8

I have never tried making it, but it seems like a lot of liquid for the small amount of sugar. Maybe try more sugar but it says white sugar so, I don't know. What if you used conf. sugar? Now you have me wanting to test it to see what may be wrong with it.

I had the same problem with the icing for the German Chocolate Cake II. The icing never thickened, I put it in the freezer and it thickened some, but when I went to put it on the cake it was just melting and running down the sides. It tasted great though, and I am not a coconut person. icon_smile.gif I thought it was because I had never made that type cake before. ??? Oh well, I guess all recipes are trial and error. Hopefully someone else can help you better than I did. Normally I can look at a recipe and see what can be done to help out, but not this time, I am clueless until I try it.

Sorry!!! I guess you could use it as a filling?
Leslie

SugarCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarCreations Posted 11 Sep 2005 , 8:34pm
post #3 of 8

HERES ONE. FORGOT WHERE I GOT IT. JUST DOES NOT GIVE MIXING INSTRUCTIONS.

1/2 CUP BUTTER SOFTENED
6 TABLESPOONS SHORTENING
1 CUP WHITE SUGAR
2 TEASPOONS VANILLA EXTRACT
1 TABLESPOON CORNSTARCH
1/2 CUP WARM MILK.

TRICK NOW IS FIGURING OUT HOW TO MIX IT.

sue_dye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sue_dye Posted 11 Sep 2005 , 11:18pm
post #4 of 8

Here is the same recipe w/ directions.

1/2 cup butter, softened
6 tablespoons shortening
1 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 cup warm milk

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTIONS:
In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening, sugar and vanilla together. Stir cornstarch into milk and add to butter mixture. Beat at low speed until well blended. Beat another 5 to 7 minutes until icing is creamy.

Note: This icing will appear curdled at first, but continue beating and it will become smooth.

Not sure if white sugar means powder sugar. detective.gif

SugarCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarCreations Posted 11 Sep 2005 , 11:48pm
post #5 of 8

HEY! GOOD DEAL I SEE SOMEONE HAD DIRECTIONS FOR IT. THANKS FOR COMING TO THE RESCUE. THE SITE I GOT IT OFF OF HAD NO INSTRUCTIONS WITH IT. GLAD YOU COULD HELP HER.

kakesbyrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakesbyrobin Posted 12 Sep 2005 , 1:30pm
post #6 of 8

That is the same recipe that I used.

I think I am just going to have to play with it.

missmersh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmersh Posted 12 Sep 2005 , 4:13pm
post #7 of 8

Robin,
I still think there is too much liquid for the small amount of sugar.
Maybe this is supposed to be similar to the "creme" filling in a krispy creme donut or something(not the custard filling, but the sweet icing type filling). Or could it be the same as the filling inside a twinkie or ho ho?

Maybe this wasn't intended to be used to ice a cake.

Leslie

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 14 Sep 2005 , 8:43pm
post #8 of 8

Same recipe with directions.
1/2 cup butter, softened
6 tablespoons shortening
1 cup white sugar [granulated]
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 cup warm milk

1. In a medium-size saucepan, add a small amount of milk to cornstarch and stir until a smooth paste. Whisk in remaining milk until well combined.
Stirring constantly, bring to boil over medium heat and mixture is thick. Remove from heat and cool [cold is best - so chill, if possible].

2. In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening, sugar and vanilla together until light and fluffy. Sugar must be dissolved - so it will take a while.

3. When the cornstarch mixture is cold, add to creamed mixture, a bit at a time, until icing is creamy.

Notes:
* sugar is normal table sugar
* the cornstarch mix is very thick
* cooked starch is better than uncooked starch
* the icing is a soft, non-crusting variety
* when flavoured, it can be used as a filling.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%