Jimmies Sink To Bottom Of Cake

Baking By lstalder Updated 17 Oct 2011 , 8:39pm by AnnieCahill

lstalder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lstalder Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 2:18am
post #1 of 5

I've tried adding jimmies to a vanilla sponge cake recipe but they sunk to the bottom of the cake. Would they not sink in another kind of cake? Any good recipe ideas?

4 replies
MamaDear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaDear Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 2:30am
post #2 of 5

I usually don't add them to the cake mix itself, I pour batter in the pan, sprinkle them on, pour some more and sprinkle the rest. Also try coating them with a couple of teaspoons of flour, that may help the cake mix grab on to them instead of them sinking.

Bridgette1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bridgette1129 Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 2:34am
post #3 of 5

I made a vanilla batter today for cupcakes and folded the jimmies in at the end, then put the batter in the tins. They did not sink. Maybe sponge cake is too light?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 5:04pm
post #4 of 5

Both of the suggestion above are good. Another thing one can do is take about 1 cup of the dry mix and mix the jimmies in there, then add that to the rest of the mix. Coating them w/flour (or cake mix) is suppose to keep them from sinking to the bottom.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 8:39pm
post #5 of 5

I just put the jimmies in with the dry ingredients and whisk everything together, then add the wet. Never had a problem with them sinking. I usually add 2-3 tablespoons.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%