Plexiglass For Counter Top For Bakery

Business By lynn780 Updated 18 Oct 2011 , 3:54pm by btrsktch

lynn780 Posted 16 Oct 2011 , 9:47pm
post #1 of 9

I am trying to plan my eventual store front. I have been to many cupcake places/bakeries where they have plexi in front of their baked goods and it is framed in. If any of you have a store front and use the plexi, can you share how you framed it in and what did you use. Thank you.

8 replies
scp1127 Posted 16 Oct 2011 , 10:19pm
post #2 of 9

Your HD is who you need to consult. They will give you dimensions, material, and proper construction. CC members can offer sugestions, but the bottom line is that you will have a specific code to follow. Height, sneeze guard, full cover, connecting edges... all HD issues.

Dayti Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 11:47am
post #3 of 9

Is plexiglass a kind of plastic/acrylic? (excuse my ignorance!) Just wondering, because if it is, it will end up getting scratched either by customers or staff, especially when cleaning. You would be better off getting tempered glass, if your HD allows that. I have tempered glass and only have one slight scratch after a year of business.

scp1127 Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 12:08pm
post #4 of 9

Dayti, that's good to know. I'm planning something similar. That's why I posted. So if I have the choice, I'll keep that in mind.

btrsktch Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 1:44pm
post #5 of 9

I have acrylic sneeze guards and in 3+ years of daily cleaning, have extremely minimal or almost no scratches.

Also, in my area, the HD didn't care about materials or how you used it, just that there is a block between customers and the food. You could design it anyway you wanted.

I know someone who got the plexiglass from Home Depot and attached that. You just have to make sure to round the corners and have no sharp edges.

lynn780 Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 1:56pm
post #6 of 9

Btrsktch--for me it is the dept of agr and they, like for you, don't care what material you use as long as it's a shield. Whether I just put domes on all my cake stands/trays or put up plexi. I think I have come up with a solution that my dh will build. I did find 2'x4' pieces of plexi at Home Depot for around $60.00 each about 1/4" thick. I think those will work. Pricing domes for everthing was going to be more expensive.

scp1127 Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 2:45pm
post #7 of 9

btrsktch, do you have to have the top covered, or is it a height requirement? Also, I'm guessing that the pieces don't have to meet. I am referring to the glass at Panera Bread. They have the glass standing in metal brackets. The corners don't meet and the top isn't covered. Since this setup is in MD, I'm assuming it passes. I'm still about 6 months off from having a retail shop, so I haven't checked the specs yet. My current bakery is over the line in WV, but MD is my primary market. This second location will be a satellite with all baking still at the first location.

just4myboys Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 2:48pm
post #8 of 9

Just a thought but if youre looking for plexi or lexan you should be able to see your local auto glass store. I know it seems odd to visit an auto store when setting up for a bakery but they should be able to order it in large or small sheets and different thicknesses. Hope this helps. Good luck!

btrsktch Posted 18 Oct 2011 , 3:54pm
post #9 of 9

scp1127 - honestly, there was no requirements whatsoever. I think as long as you use your best judgement, you are OK. You would at least want the guard covered enough so that people can't reach over/under and grab what they want - because as crazy as it sounds, people DO tend to reach and try to take what they want instead of pointing and let you (with a GLOVED HAND) get it. icon_rolleyes.gif

In my current store, I had a piece custom made and it curves across the top, has covered sides and a shelf in the middle. My new shop I'm just going straight up from anchors on the tabletop.

Quote by @%username% on %date%