Have You Ever Been Ask Or Asked This Question?

Decorating By labmom Updated 17 Oct 2011 , 5:19am by labmom

labmom Posted 16 Oct 2011 , 8:37pm
post #1 of 6

this may be a stupid question but I have to ask.

while setting up a cake at a wedding or preparing to cut the cake at a wedding someone comes up to you and says "if you don't know how to cut the cake I will cut it I make cakes too".. you have no idea who the person is.

Do you find it odd, or have you ever offered to do this to someone you don't know? Just curious.

5 replies
FabBrunette Posted 16 Oct 2011 , 8:46pm
post #2 of 6

I think some people just don't know how to offer help! It sounds like they were a) perfectionists, b) bored, c) socially stunted.

kakeladi Posted 16 Oct 2011 , 8:54pm
post #3 of 6

thats interesting that anyone would think the person setting up the cake would not know how to cut/serve it icon_smile.gif
I think they are just trying to let you know they do cakes also.....maybe just trying to start a conversation to get cake informatiion - if you respond nicely they will start asking all kinds of ?s icon_smile.gif

Elcee Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 2:22am
post #4 of 6
Originally Posted by kakeladi

thats interesting that anyone would think the person setting up the cake would not know how to cut/serve it icon_smile.gif

I don't know how to cut and serve a wedding cake and I've made a few. I provide a cutting guide and tell my friends that I hope they have someone who knows how to cut the cake icon_smile.gif.

cheatize Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 3:22am
post #5 of 6

At a recent event, the contact person for delivery told me she and her daughter have "done lots of cakes" for events. She looked at my cake and said, "Boy, fondant really does show every flaw, doesn't it?" icon_eek.gif

Wow, lady! Catty much? It's not my fault the bride didn't ask you to make the cake.

Some people just have to get in a dig. Smile to yourself and move on.

labmom Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 5:19am
post #6 of 6

In talking to the bride I have found out that the person who offered help and information about cutting and doing cakes works in the office with the bride and was not happy that she wasn't ask to do the cake.

According to the bride her cakes are not quality and her work and experience not what the bride wanted. I have done many cakes for this bride including her first wedding, so she was aware of my work. I didn't go looking for the client she came to me.

So maybe it was just a teritory thing on her part? I always try to be friendly (sometimes too friendly). I tried to talk to the "cake person" but she was not in a friendly except to offer to cut the cake. So now things are a bit more clear on the ladies attitued.

now I understand much better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%