Duncan Hines Decandent Cake Mix Question

Baking By msulli10 Updated 17 Oct 2011 , 5:19am by scp1127

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 16 Oct 2011 , 5:25pm
post #1 of 4

Has anyone tried using the new Duncan Hines decandent cake mixes for a doctored cake recipe??? I'm thinking that it would work the same as any other box mix, but I'm just checking first before I invest in any of these?
They come in Chocolate, carrot and apple.

3 replies
msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 16 Oct 2011 , 7:06pm
post #2 of 4

anyone??

BACI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BACI Posted 16 Oct 2011 , 7:20pm
post #3 of 4

Hi - I just used it for the first time.... Not sure how/what you want to doctor but... I Made the carrot mix. I'm sorry I did not need to doctor it ( what the b'day boy wanted) but I know with the carrot mix you have to add hot water to hydrate the carrots & raisins. When you add it to the mix you include the excess water - that would be my concern - although you do not add additional water - only eggs & oil - so it may all balance out even for doctoring.... Guess it depends on what you are looking to do.
the mix was very good & the raisins were sweet....
Not sure if that helps - but since I just used it yest. Figured I'd try.
icon_smile.gif

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 5:19am
post #4 of 4

Don't tell. I'm a diehard scratch baker. When I took my Wilton classes, I had to make mine and my daughter's cakes. I made box mixes and covered them in Wilton fondant and threw them away after class. I ordered some better fondant and still didn't have time to make a cake from scratch, so I used the decadent series. I added all kinds of things to that carrot cake and it turned out pretty good. I know I added pineapple and pecans. The structure held up perfectly with the additions. It was by far the best tasting box mix I have had. I still could tell it was from a box, but I wouldn't turn it down. In fact, I would eat it again.

Pm me and I'll tell you what I really did to that cake. It was exceptional.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%