Does It Matter....

Baking By sberryp Updated 16 Oct 2011 , 9:25pm by KatsSuiteCakes

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 16 Oct 2011 , 4:13am
post #1 of 9

Does it matter which box mix to use with WASC? If so which one should I use? Also what icing goes well with WASC?

8 replies
cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 16 Oct 2011 , 5:14am
post #2 of 9

I only use Duncan Hines cake mixes. I think Pillsbury cakes have a tendency to be drier. But that is just my personal opinion, and I am sure there are those that would debate this point. As far as icing, I think you could use just about any flavor that you wanted. If you would like to do some samples just mix you up some icing and devide it up into small bowls and then just flavor each bowl with a small amount of flavoring. Then just pipe onto some cupcakes.

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 16 Oct 2011 , 6:00am
post #3 of 9

I think its a matter of preference. I always use BC and I ice all my cakes in SMBC. However, I have used an american BC...but honestly, I hate using american BC....my preference and those of my clients have always been SMBC. The WASC can be used with any icing your heart desires icon_biggrin.gif

sberryp Posted 16 Oct 2011 , 7:59pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks for your help. I used DH, but them I read on sugar shacks blog that they changed and not to use it. I just wanted to make sure that it was okay. They looked good, but I had to wait to taste it because I had to freeze the cake for a later date. I took a little piece from leveling and it was good but I don't think I like the almond taste. Maybe next time I will omit the almond.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Oct 2011 , 8:51pm
post #5 of 9

If you read my *original* WASC recipe you will see I noted using Betty Crocker. That is definately my 1st choice, but have used the others from time to time.
Granted, I have not made a cake - WASC or otherwise - since the change in the size of the cake mixes but I'm betting it will NOT make a big difference.
I have always iced my cakes w/b'cream - what many call 'american b'cream'. From time to time I have used a cr cheese b'cream (usually Earlene Moore's recipe) and sometimes then covered in fondant.
As I have said many times, taste is **VERY!** personal. What one likes or thinks is too sweet someone else will just hate or love it/think it's not sweet enough.
If you don't care for the almond, rather the eleminate it all together, just cut the amount in 1/2. If you still don't care for it try some other flavor like lemon or orange or ??

KatsSuiteCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatsSuiteCakes Posted 16 Oct 2011 , 9:06pm
post #6 of 9

I recently made a WASC wedding cake, and used Betty Crocker and didn't notice the smaller size. I baked 2 14' rounds and both fell terribly in the middle. Couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong and re-baked them using DH. Won't be using BC in my WASC again.

Kat

sberryp Posted 16 Oct 2011 , 9:21pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks for sharing. It's probably because BC changed their sizes that it fell in the middle. DH still make 18ox boxes.

sberryp Posted 16 Oct 2011 , 9:25pm
post #8 of 9

I will try decreasing the amount of almond next time.

KatsSuiteCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatsSuiteCakes Posted 16 Oct 2011 , 9:25pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberryp

Thanks for sharing. It's probably because BC changed their sizes that it fell in the middle. DH still make 18ox boxes.

Exactly!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%