Anyone Ever Use Jem Cutters

Decorating By GildaM Updated 23 Oct 2012 , 5:23am by SugarBud

GildaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GildaM Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 6:53pm
post #1 of 6

Has anyone used JEM Cutters, how do you get the fondant out of the Cutter, I have put cornstarch inside the cutter in hopes that the fondant would come out easily and that doesn't work.

Maybe someone has an easier way of working these cutters?

Thanks

5 replies
ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 7:13pm
post #2 of 6

Not sure which cutter you are using, but when I use difficult cutters, i roll the fondant extremely thin and place on the counter lightly dusted with powdered sugar. I let it set for about 15 minutes. Fondant doesn't stick (as much) to the cutters.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 7:33pm
post #3 of 6

Yes. Thin fondant and let it dry out a bit first. If it does stick, use a straight pin to tease it out.

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 7:34pm
post #4 of 6

Rolling the fondant thin and letting it sit is key.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 7:34pm
post #5 of 6

Yes. Thin fondant and let it dry out a bit first. If it does stick, use a straight pin to tease it out.

SugarBud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBud Posted 23 Oct 2012 , 5:23am
post #6 of 6

I initially struggled with all the Jem cutters that I bought because it was hard to get the gum paste out. Till I discovered I was using them wrongly! They are actually not meant for you to press out the gum paste (must use gumpaste or sugarpaste with gum added to it) .... there is actually a mat that Jem has with different size holes. You are supposed to turn the cutter upside down and insert the handle in the hole. Then place the thinkly rolled fondant over the cutter then roll over with a rolling pin. If you find that the paste is still sticky, then dust the cutters first with some cornstarch. You're paste needs to be a little firm otherwise sometimes it will stretch out of shape as you remove it. Hope this helps! from SugarBud Cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%