Baking/decorating When Sick

Decorating By augurey Updated 15 Oct 2011 , 11:20pm by augurey

augurey Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 4:04pm
post #1 of 8

Of course my boyfriend has impeccable timing on getting sick, which I am starting to get his symptoms (basic cold symptoms). I have a cake that I absolutely have to do for Thursday.

I know many say to wear gloves and surgical mask.

First, where can you find these?

Second, what kind of gloves are best to get for handling food?

Also, are there any other precautions I should take or anything else I can do to help prevent any possibilities of contamination?

Hopefully whatever I'm getting will have run its course by the time I need to start, but even if so, I'd still like to take precautions just to be safe.

7 replies
bakingkat Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 4:46pm
post #2 of 8

For one you should always wear gloves when handling ready to eat foods, whether you're sick or not. I get my gloves st cash & carry. Not sure where else they have them. Just make sure you wash your hands often and sanitize your work space before you start anything. Hope you feel better by then.

Ginnycakes Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 5:39pm
post #3 of 8

Drug stores around here (Iowa) carry both thin gloves (latex?) and surgical-mask-like things. Good luck.

augurey Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 9:08pm
post #4 of 8

Are there any specific type of gloves I should get or avoid, or are all gloves considered food safe?

Right now I'm still sans gloves, but did find some dust masks at the hardware store (had to stop for something else) and figured those would suffice.

I just want to make sure that the gloves I get are food safe.

I already wash my hands a lot when I bake -- and when I'm sick (as well as hand sanitizer). So I'm a habitual hand washer otherwise.

cakegrandma Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 9:56pm
post #5 of 8

Be sure to get gloves without powder in them, just in case any goes into your food. Food Service manager training says that if you have a temperature or diarrhea you should not work with food of any type. Hope you feel better soon.

tsal Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 10:11pm
post #6 of 8

The gloves I use are FDA approved for food handling (it actually says that on the box), and are not powdered.

I use the powdered ones to clean my bathroom!

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 10:14pm
post #7 of 8

I work in a hospital and so I know that a lot of people have latex allergies, therefore I'd avoid latex. Try to find food-safe vinyl ones. I hope you feel better too! icon_smile.gif

augurey Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 11:20pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks everyone icon_smile.gif

Thankfully the sickness is nothing major. The last two times I had anything major was March 2003 and December 2007, so I think I'm safe from that for another couple of years lol

This is just my typical sinus allergy stuff (that I have for the second time since August). I don't think I even get a fever with this stuff, but I still feel like I really ought to take extra precautions (even if I'm not symptomatic by then). If I were really sick then I would absolutely talk to my boyfriend's aunt and see what other arrangements could be made, but I don't feel that this is anything bad that it would mean I should not proceed and that would be hazardous to others.

I did look for some decorating gloves at Michaels however had no luck. I do have a couple places to go tomorrow so I can try searching there (Walmart, and I could swing by a drug store or two as they are on the way).

Yeah, I didn't really think the powdered ones would be the right ones to get for this sort of thing. I realize this may be a really stupid and obvious question, but I want to make 100% sure -- if the gloves are food safe, will they say food safe on them? And if they don't say food safe, would be right to assume that they are not? I ask because I do not know what to expect in my findings, and I do not want to make that kind of error.

Quote by @%username% on %date%