Silhouette Or Circuit & Edible Images

Decorating By OneCreativeCookie Updated 23 Oct 2011 , 4:22pm by tiggy2

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 12:58am
post #31 of 45

IMO if you cut that thickness you may have jagged edges. I roll to a 6 or 7 on my kitchen aid pasta roller and it isn't near that thick. It needs to be very thin for clean cuts.

GarciaGM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GarciaGM Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 4:07pm
post #32 of 45

Here's my question, which I haven't seen an answer for yet: can you use the Cricut and (more importantly to me) the Silhouette on other products (e.g., paper, vinyl, fabric, etc.) once you've used it for caking? Is it possible to swap blade sets so that you keep one set of blades for caking and a separate set for everything else? Being able to use a machine for several different purposes would make it even more of a justifiable expense to me. Thanks!

tiggy2 Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 4:38pm
post #33 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarciaGM

Here's my question, which I haven't seen an answer for yet: can you use the and (more importantly to me) the Silhouette on other products (e.g., paper, vinyl, fabric, etc.) once you've used it for caking? Is it possible to swap blade sets so that you keep one set of blades for caking and a separate set for everything else? Being able to use a machine for several different purposes would make it even more of a justifiable expense to me. Thanks!

Yes you can as long as you don't use it to cut anything with glitter on it as it would be impossible to prevent the glitter from contaminating food products.

GarciaGM Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 5:21pm
post #34 of 45

Okay, so is that to say then that you can use it *as long you swap out blades*? Or are you saying it's fine even if you don't swap out blades? On the glitter, is that a no-no even if you use it on separate blades? Thanks!!

tiggy2 Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 5:32pm
post #35 of 45
Quote:

Okay, so is that to say then that you can use it *as long you swap out blades*? Or are you saying it's fine even if you don't swap out blades? On the glitter, is that a no-no even if you use it on separate blades? Thanks!!

I would definately swap out blades and mats as those are the only 2 things that touch the food products. For the cricut you will need the deep cut blade and housing and for the silhouette you will need the special blade that Linda McClure developed (the blades that come with the silhouette WILL NOT WORK. Glitter is NO NO under any circumstances.

GarciaGM Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 5:36pm
post #36 of 45

VERY VERY HELPFUL!! THANKS SO MUCH!!

tiggy2 Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 5:41pm
post #37 of 45

I have both machines so let me know if you have any other questions.

GarciaGM Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 10:47pm
post #38 of 45

Really appreciate it Tiggy2!! Since you seem willing to answer my questions, and so everyone else will have the benefit of your responses, here are another couple of questions...

Have you ever encountered a time when you regretted not being able to cut 12" with the Silhouette?

I've been reading more webpages on the Silhouette and I see that Linda McClure said something about printing on icing sheets. Is that to say the Silhouette also has the capability to use edible ink cartridges?

Thanks!!

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 23 Oct 2011 , 1:50pm
post #39 of 45

The Silhouette is coming out with the new Cameo version and the traditional SE version will no longer be available. Linda McClure will have them in stock very soon, like hopefully this week. That machine will cut the larger sheets.

There is now printing and cutting machine available. You would first print, then cut.

We used the new Cameo version at the All Things Baking Show with our wide format printer and it was great to be able to print the large sheets and then cut large designs. Keep in mind that on the smaller machines while you cannot cut the width, you can cut length. So for example, if you are using our precolored designer electronic cutting sheets, they are 12 x11.75. You can cut off the width to fit any cutter, and still cut the 12" length. The Cameo should be reasonably priced and it uses Lindas removable blade which is important when cutting food items.

bonniekaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniekaye Posted 23 Oct 2011 , 1:58pm
post #40 of 45

I have a cricut expression, cricut cake, gazelle and silhouette sd. I have used all of them for cutting icing sheets and gum paste. I use this technique all the time in my business. I have found that I only use my silhouette now. The smaller size has never been a problem. In fact, I likes the light weight and small size over the heavier, larger machines. This is a personal choice, as all the machines worked, but the silhouette just worked better.

The silhouette does not print. You print on gum paste or icing sheets and the silhouette will cut out the design. You do this from the same program on your computer. You open a picture in the silhouette studio program and send it to your printer. Then you take the printed picture and load it into your silhouette. From the same software program you tell the silhouette to cut the outline of the picture.

I have ordered the new Silhouette Cameo. I did this because I will be getting a wide format printer so I can use the larger icing sheets. I am doing this because I can see that being able to print a 12 x 16 icing sheet with lots of logos for cookies and other projects will be a big time saver for me. I will continue using the silhouette sd for my regular gum paste projects.

I hope this helped to answer some questions. My go to person is Linda McClure, so if you have any questions about her technique, just contact her.

tiggy2 Posted 23 Oct 2011 , 2:28pm
post #41 of 45
Quote:

Really appreciate it Tiggy2!! Since you seem willing to answer my questions, and so everyone else will have the benefit of your responses, here are another couple of questions...

Have you ever encountered a time when you regretted not being able to cut 12" with the Silhouette?

I've been reading more webpages on the Silhouette and I see that Linda McClure said something about printing on icing sheets. Is that to say the Silhouette also has the capability to use edible ink cartridges?

Thanks!!

I think bonnie answered your questions but I have never regretted not being able to cut 12" wide with the silhouette.

tiggy2 Posted 23 Oct 2011 , 2:32pm
post #42 of 45

If you haven't tried icingimages iiprint on their website be sure to check it out. It makes printing on their frosting sheets so much easier. Took me a little while to get the margins for the 3" circles lined up but once they were set it was a breeze.

kel58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kel58 Posted 23 Oct 2011 , 3:24pm
post #43 of 45

Do you have to purchase additional designs with the silhouette or is all on the computer program?

kel58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kel58 Posted 23 Oct 2011 , 3:56pm
post #44 of 45

Nevermind found the answer. But it led me to a new question. Does anyone know if purchasing new designs with a canadian credit card will be issue?

tiggy2 Posted 23 Oct 2011 , 4:22pm
post #45 of 45

You can purchase designs or you can import your own designs.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%