Silhouette Or Circuit & Edible Images

Decorating By OneCreativeCookie Updated 23 Oct 2011 , 4:22pm by tiggy2

OneCreativeCookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OneCreativeCookie Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 1:33pm
post #1 of 45

Looking ahead an my next business purchase, I'm wondering about a cutter (saving me the hassle of cutting out all those crazy 3.25" circles I use for wedding cookies!).

What cutter do you have?
Can you use it for other media or does it need to remain exclusively for icing sheets?
I don't use gumpaste, so can I cut just the sheet of icing?
How do you clean it?
Is it hard to set up to cut an image exactly as it is on the printed page (considering options beyond the circles...!)
Any downsides to using a cutter w/ edible images?

Is there an advantage to Silhouette or Circut?

Thanks so much!!!

44 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 1:55pm
post #2 of 45

Silhouette all the way. Check out Linda McClure's website.

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 10:12pm
post #3 of 45

I second tiggy2's advice icon_biggrin.gif

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 11:19pm
post #4 of 45

This video should help you http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/17807816
Plus, I know you already are customer of ours, but did you know that we sell wonderful designer colored premium icing sheet which are awesome for use in the silhouette. Plus you can print on the using our iiDesigns and cut out Elegant designs!

RebelsLGB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RebelsLGB Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 11:31pm
post #5 of 45

my father bought me the Circuit...It doesn't work. I feel horrible because they aren't cheap and he was so excited to get it for me (I did not ask for it, it was a surprise) and it doesn't work. Maybe I'm just not capable of rolling the fondant or gumpaste thin enough.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 11:49pm
post #6 of 45

The silhouette allows you to use things like Make the Cut software. The cricut only works with their very expensive cartridges. That only made the decision for me. If you already have an edible image printer then the silhouette is a must because of the awesome print and cut feature. Check out Linda McLures videos on print and cut and I think you'll be sold!

tiggy2 Posted 16 Oct 2011 , 12:35am
post #7 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelsLGB

my father bought me the Circuit...It doesn't work. I feel horrible because they aren't cheap and he was so excited to get it for me (I did not ask for it, it was a surprise) and it doesn't work. Maybe I'm just not capable of rolling the fondant or gumpaste thin enough.

Use the premium frosting sheets from icingimages and you'll have much better success.

icingimages Posted 16 Oct 2011 , 12:48am
post #8 of 45
Quote:

Contact Linda McClure, you can google her, but she will help you even with the cricut. Another alternative, is to sell the cricut on ebay and then buy a silhoutte. The expense of all the cricut cartridges would be worth it alone!

shelbycompany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbycompany Posted 16 Oct 2011 , 1:42am
post #9 of 45

I have the cricuit machine and I love it. I use Make The Cut software but to my understanding, cricuit and MTC had some kind of falling out and cricuit no longer supports the MTC program. Fortunatly since I had my cricuit before that, I can still use MTC. I only use modeling chocolate in the cricuit. You don't have to wait for it to set up on the mat. Just roll out, place it on the mat and cut. I also don't have to use the pasta roller either so I can cut thicker images. I do love the cartridges but they are expensive. I don't buy the fonts because the MTC software can do any ones you have on your computer just like the silouette. I used to have the silouette for scrapbooking but I found it to be a bit complicated to use. Then again, I didn't know how to use all of the features either. From what I understand about the silouette and the cricuit, they are both great for caking. Since you can't use the MTC with the cricuit anymore, you might want to go with the silouette.......Sorry cricuit

OneCreativeCookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OneCreativeCookie Posted 16 Oct 2011 , 1:45am
post #10 of 45

So, do you have to design everything and print it on the icing sheet using the Silhouette software? Right now I set everything up in Publisher and print to my Canon from Publisher. I'm confused (and can't seem to find the right tutorial) to figure out how I get from Publisher to printer to cutter.

Looks like another "must have" as long as I can figure this all out!
Thanks!

sillywabbitz Posted 16 Oct 2011 , 1:49am
post #11 of 45
jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 16 Oct 2011 , 1:59am
post #12 of 45

sillywabbitz, I clicked on that link, and went through the utubes and it didn't show anything at all available like this. I am not sure what to put in the search thing because I have not had a lot of success with utube. Thanks for any help.

sillywabbitz Posted 16 Oct 2011 , 2:10am
post #13 of 45

Hmm, when I click on the link it goes straight to the video? Try searching 'print and cut', or silhoutte Linda .

icingimages Posted 16 Oct 2011 , 2:14am
post #14 of 45

The link works for me too... You can print from the software that comes with the silhouette... Or not. The silhouette software does allow you to print and then it will print the registration marks so the silhouette knows where to cut.

icingimages Posted 16 Oct 2011 , 2:15am
post #15 of 45

If you plan to print random shapes then cyan print using any software and then use the silhouette software to print your shapes.

linedancer Posted 16 Oct 2011 , 1:40pm
post #16 of 45

Need to tell you something I didn't think of when replying before. The Silhouette folks are coming out with a new wide format cutter, the Cameo. It will cut a full 12 inches instead of 8 1/2. Remember this is really a scrap booking tool icon_smile.gif

The Silhouette SD is being discontinued. The software and blades for the Cameo will still be compatible with the SD. You of course, can still cut 8 1/2 inch material on the Cameo.

I know that Icing Images has a wide format printer package that will work with the Cameo. The cost of changing for me is prohibitive for me at the moment, but I will probably buy a Cameo sometime in the future.

In the meantime, the SD is not available on the Silhouette website, there are a few left on ebay. You might want to get the Cameo. They are just beginning to ship, and are about $100 more than the SD.

tiggy2 Posted 16 Oct 2011 , 3:00pm
post #17 of 45

Linda McClure may still have a few silhouette SD packages if you're looking for one.

linedancer Posted 16 Oct 2011 , 3:32pm
post #18 of 45

Yes, I didn't think about Linda..

bonniekaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniekaye Posted 16 Oct 2011 , 3:55pm
post #19 of 45

I just finished watching the ustream video, long but informative. I use my Silhouette with just about every cake I do now. I love using icing image icing sheets, white and colored. I have had great luck using gum paste for my cut outs. I have been looking into the new Cameo, but I think I will stick with the Silhouette SD for now. I like the 8.5" size and it has been perfect for everything I need to do. If I ever go to the wide format printer then I will go to the larger cutter. You have to learn how to use the software that comes with the Silhouette. I did take Lindas class and bought her class on DVD. Once I learned the basics I can do just about anything I need to. It just took a bit of an effort on my part.
I do know that for now the Cameo is not compatible with Majke the Cut, it is too new and has not been added to their list of cutters. It is possible it will be added in the future. You can still design in Make the Cut, save your project as a png file and open it in the Silhouette Studio program.
Did you see the printing on both sides of the gum paste? What a great idea.

tiggy2 Posted 16 Oct 2011 , 4:01pm
post #20 of 45

Her live video was great and it was even sweeter when I won the agbay leveler. Can't wait to get it! I also took her class and have her DVDs. I have switched to the premium frosting sheets from icingimages and it makes life so much easier. I copy scrapbook paper and print it on the sheets then cut out my designs. I love my silhouette!

bonniekaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniekaye Posted 16 Oct 2011 , 10:38pm
post #21 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

Her live video was great and it was even sweeter when I won the agbay leveler. Can't wait to get it! I also took her class and have her DVDs. I have switched to the premium frosting sheets from icingimages and it makes life so much easier. I copy scrapbook paper and print it on the sheets then cut out my designs. I love my silhouette!

Congratulations on winning the Agbay! I love mine and use it every time I make a cake.

icingimages Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 12:37am
post #22 of 45

Tiggy, that was you who won??? Congrats! that is so cool! When we were at the All things baking convention in chicago, we had Mike Terry who spent about 15 minutes with LInda and was up and demoing like a pro! He was using the new Cameo, our wide format printer and the iiDesigns program. It was so much fun to watch him go. While the MTC software wont work, he did absolutely fine with the silhouette software. Also remember that while the SD does not cut the 12" wide, it does print very long sheets so you can still use the 8.5x14" sheets in the Silhouette SD. There are not many reasons why you would switch, unless you would really utilize the width as well, now if you are buying new, its a great asset. You would still want to purchase the blades from Linda as her blades are more heavy duty.

tiggy2 Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 12:49am
post #23 of 45

Yes it was me Debbie! I was so excited I was doing a happy dance.

icingimages Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 2:03am
post #24 of 45

I cant wait to meet you one day!!!! Maybe ICES since it is more on your side of the world...

netosk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
netosk Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 12:51pm
post #25 of 45

which the maximum thickness that Silhoutte cut (I need at least #8 in pasta machine )?

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 1:15pm
post #26 of 45
Quote:

I bought the Cricut when it first came out along with SCAL and I use it every week. I don't know what I'll do if it ever breaks!

Just for general cutting on the Cricut though, I have found that whatever you are cutting, fondant, gumpaste, or my favorite, modeling chocolate, they all cut better if you roll them onto the mat and then pop them in the freezer for 5 minutes. I suspect that would be the same for the Silhouette.

carolinagirlcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinagirlcakes Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 3:59pm
post #27 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbycompany

I have the cricuit machine and I love it. I use Make The Cut software but to my understanding, cricuit and MTC had some kind of falling out and cricuit no longer supports the MTC program. Fortunatly since I had my cricuit before that, I can still use MTC. I only use modeling chocolate in the cricuit. You don't have to wait for it to set up on the mat. Just roll out, place it on the mat and cut. I also don't have to use the pasta roller either so I can cut thicker images. I do love the cartridges but they are expensive. I don't buy the fonts because the MTC software can do any ones you have on your computer just like the silouette. I used to have the silouette for scrapbooking but I found it to be a bit complicated to use. Then again, I didn't know how to use all of the features either. From what I understand about the silouette and the cricuit, they are both great for caking. Since you can't use the MTC with the cricuit anymore, you might want to go with the silouette.......Sorry cricuit

When did you purchase your Cricut? I got mine January of this year and curious if I could use the software... never tried hooking it up to my computer, lol. I really don't use it as often as I should but would like to be able to use my own images for lettering.

icingimages Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 6:10pm
post #28 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by netosk

which the maximum thickness that Silhoutte cut (I need at least #8 in pasta machine )?

It really depends... #8 can be thin or thick depending on your machine.
number 6,7 and 8 on the kitchenaid work great. But Linda McClure says that it can cut within a 1/16".

netosk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
netosk Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 7:09pm
post #29 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by icingimages

Quote:
Originally Posted by netosk

It really depends... #8 can be thin or thick depending on your machine.
number 6,7 and 8 on the kitchenaid work great. But Linda McClure says that it can cut within a 1/16".

1/16" = 1.575mm

I would like to cut the letters with the same thickness
I think I can cut with silhouet

tiggy2 Posted 22 Oct 2011 , 12:58am
post #30 of 45

IMO if you cut that thickness you may have jagged edges. I roll to a 6 or 7 on my kitchen aid pasta roller and it isn't near that thick. It needs to be very thin for clean cuts.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%