Baking By Sarahdee2007 Updated 28 Oct 2011 , 5:55pm by SammieB

Sarahdee2007 Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 6:39am
post #1 of 10

I was asked to do a Mickey cake and she wanted it fondant with fondant accents. I read on a lot of sites that you can make and color it in advance. I have used the recipe I used several times before with excellent results.. When I made the fondant earlier this week, I went ahead and colored it, double wrapped it, and put it in the fridge. Today when I got it out, it had NO elasticity. It kept tearing so I jumped on here and saw that I should add water until it was right. Well I kept adding one teaspoon at a time and it never stopped tearing and got all mushy. So I figured it needed more sugar. I never got it right. I even added more melted marshmallow/sugar. Can anyone tell me what is wrong with it, is it salvageable, or should I toss it? I colored them primary colors and black using Wilton and americolor gels. So stressed! icon_cry.gif

9 replies
Sarahdee2007 Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 6:42am
post #2 of 10

Oh, so I decided to send someone to buy the colored fondant from walmart and when she got back, I realized there would not be enough of one color to cover the cake. Sigh. I just ended up using cream cheese frosting and airbrushed it. But I would still like to save my fondant if it's even possible...[/center]

Texas_Rose Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 3:20pm
post #3 of 10

It doesn't sound like you can save it.

Sometimes if you add too much black or red it will make the fondant crumbly like that.

Sarahdee2007 Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 5:09pm
post #4 of 10

I kinda figured that was the problem since it was the only difference. Oh well, at least it's cheap.. Thanks for replying... icon_cool.gif

Tails Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 10:55am
post #5 of 10

I dont think you should keep it in the fridge. That dries it up big time icon_sad.gif Leave it to come to room temp, after making, for 2 hours then keep it wrapped in clingwrap in a tupperware container until you need it. Lasts 2-3 months this way. Heat gently in the microwave to soften for kneading.

Tails Posted 19 Oct 2011 , 10:57am
post #6 of 10

Also, dont add water, cos that just makes it sticky. Rub your hands with shortening or marg/butter and knead until desired consistancy. This can take a while, but eventually it comes right.

Sarahdee2007 Posted 20 Oct 2011 , 10:07pm
post #7 of 10

Is mmf going to be ruined if I airbrush it? Should I let it set for a whilemor something or just use traditional fondant?

Tails Posted 21 Oct 2011 , 6:48am
post #8 of 10

I wouldnt imagine it would ruin it? Two pages came up when I googled your question:

(this one says
As far as airbrushing on the marshmallow fondant this does work really well. The spray cans also gave a nice effect on this fondant. (Just in case some people don't have an airbrush.)"
(ok this page didnt load for me, but the snippet Google gave from the page said you could airbrush MMF)

and both say airbrushing is ok icon_smile.gif

kizmet Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 4:38pm
post #9 of 10

I found that my MMF starts off tearing and crumbly when it has been sitting around, but a little zap in the microwave and kneading with shortening brings it back.

SammieB Posted 28 Oct 2011 , 5:55pm
post #10 of 10

I also read before that coloring with candy melts for a deep red or black helps as well. Supposedly it doesn't dry out as much, and doesn't take as much to color, and it tastes better since it doesn't have that bitter food coloring taste to it. Just a suggestion.

Quote by @%username% on %date%