What Kind Of Brushes Do You Use?

Decorating By Bridgette1129 Updated 16 Oct 2011 , 11:56pm by homemaderachel

Bridgette1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bridgette1129 Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 5:57am
post #1 of 8

Sorry if this topic is posted somewhere, I could not find it.

I was wondering what kind of brushes you guys use for painting with gel paste or for anything?

Do they make food safe brushes? Are these the only ones you should use? I saw wilton makes some but they didn't look like good quality.

Thanks!

7 replies
Bridgette1129 Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 8:55pm
post #2 of 8

Anybody? icon_smile.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 9:28pm
post #3 of 8

No "food safe" paint brushes.

I use whatever style, density, shape, and texture that I need that I've picked up at Michaels on sale. I only use them for my caking and, despite admonitions not to, I do wash them.

Rae

molly_36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
molly_36 Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 10:43pm
post #4 of 8

I manage a salon where we sell good quality makeup brushes. That's what I use. Every shape and size from eye liner (for precise lines), to blending and shadow brushes (applying dusts on delicate flowers), to even a big fluffy foundation brush (great for taking the last of the powdered sugar off of fondant). They wash and dry easily and are ready to go again!

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 11:21pm
post #5 of 8

Actually, Wilton makes two sets of brushes. The first is a lilac-handled brush ... loq quality, chips, icky. The secodn is a set of green-handled brushes that they just put out. I am not typically a Wilton fan, but these brushes work quite well. They stand up to the washing and drying and painting, and don't lose their perfect points and fan shapes. I love painting on cakes, but feel more comfortable if it came from Wilton than from my regular paint section ... HTH!

Bridgette1129 Posted 16 Oct 2011 , 12:16am
post #6 of 8

Thanks so much to all of you. I bought a brush at Michael's in the paint section and didn't know if that would be bad. Thanks again icon_smile.gif

kmstreepey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmstreepey Posted 16 Oct 2011 , 12:49am
post #7 of 8

I use brushes from the paint section at Michael's. Just look for brushes that are well-made. Pull a little on the bristles - make sure they are soft and that they don't pull out easily. Some brushes are made cheaply and you will end up with bristles falling out all over your cake. I wash mine with soapy water, too.

I have the Wilton brushes (not the new kind that just came out) and I do not like them at all. I'm not sure what they are good for. The bristles are very stiff and just don't work for anything.

I really like the idea of using makeup brushes! I'm thinking they are more expensive generally, though. Especially if you count the Michael's coupon.

homemaderachel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homemaderachel Posted 16 Oct 2011 , 11:56pm
post #8 of 8

I'm usually cursing Wilton too, but those green handled brushes are very nice. They do not shed and clean up easily. I actually just picked up a Princeton select 1" 'mop' brush (like a blush brush) from ACMoore for 4.50 on sale. It's got nice soft bristles (natural maybe?)and worked well for the gold dust. Not sure whether it's food safe, but I washed it well before use. I've priced make-up brushes, but the coupon/sale really makes a difference - so much cheaper.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%