Evenly Spaced Stripes

Decorating By prancy Updated 15 Oct 2011 , 8:49am by letsgetcaking

prancy Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 5:37am
post #1 of 4

I am making a cake with fondant stripes. What is the best way to make sure I am putting enough space in between the stripes so that I don't end up with a space that is different in size? I'm afraid that I'll make my way around a cake and I will have just a little space which won't fit the stripe, or have too large of an area.

3 replies
ABingtheBaker Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 8:09am
post #2 of 4

Hi! I recently made a cake with fondant stripes. What I did to make sure they were evenly spaced was measured the width of the stripes I was going to make and with a ruler pressed up against the cake measured how much space I wanted in between each stripe and then poked a tiny hole to mark where each stripe was going to be placed. So I made half inch stripes and used a ruler to measure half an inch and made a tiny hole to mark it. I hope this makes sense. It's early where I am and it feel as though I am having a hard time explaining this. HTH.

pieceofcaketx Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 8:46am
post #3 of 4

I just eyeball it and so far they have always ended up pretty even. I have a couple cakes with stripes in my pics, all were done with no measuring.

letsgetcaking Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 8:49am
post #4 of 4

A couple days ago, a friend and I were practicing for a wedding cake, and I thought she had a great idea!

We placed one fondant stripe, then directly opposite that (180 degrees) around the cake, we placed another stripe. Then halfway between the two, we placed another. The system worked really well for us. We eyeballed it, and it looked great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%