Getting The Groove Back

Decorating By CakeEnvyKS Updated 15 Oct 2011 , 2:49pm by melanie-1221

CakeEnvyKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeEnvyKS Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 4:36am
post #1 of 5

This past August a family member who was like a sister to me suddenly passed away. It's been emotionally devastating, but overall I'm doing alright. I'm not depressed (though some days are better than others), I'm functioning and upbeat most days.

The problem i have is with cakes. Ever since she died, I just can't do anything right. My fondant looks awful, I can't smooth buttercream to save my life, I even mess up the recipe half the time. I'm trying so hard but just seem to have lost my mojo.

I have no doubt it's emotional and that I'll get better again in time. But what do I do in the meantime? I can't keep putting out poor results, it will damage my reputation. I have just a small home business in my spare time on top of my full time job, so I don't have staff to rely on. I have taken down my Facebook page and am now only doing cakes for friends, not seeking new business. I've worked hard to get to where I am, but my business is not stable enough that I can take a hiatus. I was supposed to be in the Oklahoma show a few weeks ago but did not produce anything worth entering. I have a charity event coming up that includes a competition with local bakeries, and I'm terrified of embarrassing myself.

Any suggestions? What do i do about my business, push through it or take a break? What about the charity event? What have you done when life's circumstances affect your work? Thank you.

4 replies
lilcakebaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilcakebaker Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 6:55am
post #2 of 5

Im currently going through some issues with infertility and will be having a few surgeries. It has been a roller coaster and I know what you mean about the quality of your cakes. I personally told everyone I was taking some time off to get myself where I need to be.

cakemaker2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemaker2 Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 2:01pm
post #3 of 5

I am so sorry for your loss!
Since taking a break isn't an option, I'd break each step down, then tackle it one step at a time. Concentrating on perfecting that one step. When things don't seem to be going right, take a break from it and do something else that relaxes you. When you come back to it, you'll do better. If you have to talk yourself through it, that's okay too! (I am a GREAT cake artist, I do this all the time, this is easy for me because I'm so talented, etc.)
Most of all, cut yourself some slack!! Stress can effect every aspect of your life. Focus on what's most important to you ie: family, friends.
Don't feel guilty for moving on with your life, your friend would want only the best for you. I wish you good luck in all your endeavors!

cakemaker2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemaker2 Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 2:05pm
post #4 of 5

Oops! Sorry for refering to your "sister" as your friend. Although I'm sure she was both. No disrespect intended.

melanie-1221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanie-1221 Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 2:49pm
post #5 of 5

I'm so sorry for your loss. I went through a rough spell caking right after I had my son and was an over exhausted, over emotional, frazzled, new mom. Nothing came out right but I had so many requests for cakes still coming in , I felt I couldn't let anyone down. Fortunately my clients were understanding after I explained my story and were willing to accept cupcakes in place of my cakes. They were much easier to do with less room for me to 'slip up' and I was still able to supply people with something while I worked at getting my 'groove' back. You will be back on track soon icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%