Friday Night Cake Club 10-14-11

Decorating By catlharper Updated 15 Oct 2011 , 6:26am by catlharper

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 2:48am
post #1 of 18

Good Evening everyone! Who's Up, what are you working on?

Cat

17 replies
catlharper Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 2:52am
post #2 of 18

Two cakes this week for me. Just got back from delivering a 2 tier baptism cake. Hated to see that one go...my little lamb (we named him Louie) was on top and we'd grown quite attached to him<G>. The second is a football jersey cake for a 40th b'day for a clients husband. Delivering that one tomorrow. Then the only project I have coming up this upcoming week is my own b'day cake!! I'm excited about this one since my younger daughter is usually the one who makes one for me but we are going out to dinner tomorrow night instead (she doesn't live here in town) so I'm going to make my own cake this year. I'm going really uptown with it and trying out new techniques so I'm super excited to be making it!

Whats up with all of you??

Cat

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 3:04am
post #3 of 18

I have an event with the Dessert Truck tomorrow, so I'm baking random things. Cupcakes, cookies, brownies and a cake. I also have 10 doz cookies for Sunday and they are not going well. I have 5 doz cut out and in the freezer, but the two I've baked spread and became useless. I'm not going to be happy to have to remake all that dough. icon_sad.gif

Oh and I need to dip 30 cake balls for a pickup order tomorrow. I'd better start that.

I've also made several batches of MMF this week. It's weird stuff.

catlharper Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 3:06am
post #4 of 18

I wish I lived close enough to go to your truck Leah! As for MMF...I'm in love...I've got it down so well now that it's totally dependable for me.

Bridgette1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bridgette1129 Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 3:07am
post #5 of 18

I have two orders I'm working on.

Just baked and froze the top layer of a birthday cake for next Friday.

My second order is for Monday and is homemade confetti cupcakes with hot pink buttercream and zebra striped fondant discs on top icon_smile.gif

** I've never seen the Friday Night Cake Club before, what is it all about?

Bridgette1129 Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 3:10am
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I've also made several batches of MMF this week. It's weird stuff.

I just made MMF for the first time yesterday. It's tasty. I haven't tried rolling it out yet though.

catlharper Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 3:11am
post #7 of 18

Friday Night Cake Club is for all of us Cakers who want to talk to other cakers about what is going on in our lives. We talk about what's on our platters for the week, what we might need help on, try to give help or just enjoy each others company. Welcome!! Hope you will join in and come by often. I open up FNCC every Friday night at 7:45pm PST.

Cat

Bridgette1129 Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 3:13am
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper

Friday Night Cake Club is for all of us Cakers who want to talk to other cakers about what is going on in our lives. We talk about what's on our platters for the week, what we might need help on, try to give help or just enjoy each others company.

Thanks for the rundown! icon_smile.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 3:24am
post #9 of 18

I finished a 3 tier totem pole RKT structure and am now working on a 3 tier cake. Tomorrow is homecoming at my daughter's college and we're feeding roughly 450 people. Yikes!

MaurorLess67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaurorLess67 Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 3:25am
post #10 of 18

Happy Friday Everyone-

Well- I'm working on a 50th Anniversary cake for my friends parents- she is picking it up tomorrow- I LOVED RATGA's Champagne Bling cake so much, I sent a pm letting her know, and that I was going to try and do something very (very) similiar (one less bow, one less tier- I'm sure my color will be quite different as I still don't have the knack for that yet -ugh), if she didn't mind- I really hope she doesn't-

I have to tell you, I smile EVERYTIME I look at it- I would love to do it justice- we'll see.

The cakes are filled, stacked, trimmed- and the bottom 4 layer, 10inch is crumb coated- jsut about to crumbcoat the second 8 inch 6 layer tier- I already made the bow- its just ok- I may attempt a second one-maybe it will come out better. I'm so glad I purchased the long pillars for the SPS now!

I have to whip up another batch of buttercream - and hoepfully get a mocha,champagne color- (I'm going to try your suggestion Leah of adding pure Vanilla extract) I do have an ivory gel, and a brown I will test out- I have super pearl to dry brush on when I'm done- I don't have an airbrush yet- maybe I'll find it under the Chrsitmas tree next to an Agbay!!!

OOOh- just remembered I have to cover my base with Gold--- shoot, where did I put that gold paper???

Wow- seems like I have a lot to do before 3pm tomorrow- ha. Actually- I'm kind of just putzing and taking my time- I'm really enjoying making this cake- I love it so much!

Can't waitto hear how everyone else's night/projects are progressing-

Mo

catlharper Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 3:50am
post #11 of 18

Can't wait to see that Totem Pole show up in the galleries!!!

And Mo, that sounds like a lot of work but something you will be proud of. I had my own "bow fight" today...took three tries but I finally got one I considered ok enough to go on the cake.

I posted my Winnie The Pooh Hunny Pot cake tonight. It's the second version of this cake but I really love how it turned out..better than the original! I think it's the pot top I put on this one<G>.

Cat

mfoxx9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfoxx9 Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 4:25am
post #12 of 18

I had two cakes this week - a 3D witch's hat birthday cake and a small girly baby shower cake. The last one was picked up earlier this evening. You won't be seeing them in the galleries, though, because I haven't been able to upload any pictures for weeks! Anyone else having that problem?

Now, I'm getting ready to head to California for vacation! My husband and I are celebrating our 10 year anniversary with three days in San Francisco and three days in wine country. I'm so excited! I just have to get everything ready to leave the kids with the grandparents for a week...

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Michelle

catlharper Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 4:32am
post #13 of 18

Michelle,

I have had problems for weeks uploading my photos. I try and think it hasn't uploaded then come back later and find that it DID post! Weird!

Hope you enjoy my part of the world! I'm a Native CA girl...living in Nor Cal for now.

Cat

kathie-d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathie-d Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 4:36am
post #14 of 18

Hi all! Just a simple sheet cake for me tonight. Next week I have a couple of Birthdays and need to get started on some Dummies for a bridal show we have coming up the beginning of November. Seems so far away but if I don't get started I'll be kicking myself!

eringm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eringm Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 4:41am
post #15 of 18

I am still working on my sister's wedding cake. I finished the gumpaste roses this week. They turned out pretty good for my first time. I will start baking and freezing the cakes tomorrow.

Tonight I am putting the finishing touches on the fondant figures for the groom's cake. He is a surfer so I am making a beach theme cake. I am making him a surfer, my sister a mermaid and her two kids are sea turtles.

ufo9978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ufo9978 Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 4:43am
post #16 of 18

Nothing this weekend but I started to work on my 300 cake pops for next weekend plus a little prince baby shower cake and my first real wedding cake. all on the same weekend. Starting monday I am taking a PME piping technique course (much needed for me) plus a topsy turvy whimsical class. so this was my quite weekend before the storm.

Thanks Leah for giving me tips on sps.

Katiebelle74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiebelle74 Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 5:09am
post #17 of 18

3d sonic cake for 40 people. done, off to bed soon.

catlharper Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 6:26am
post #18 of 18

Time for me to call it a night. Almost 11:30 here in CA. Safe deliveries everyone! Have a great week and I'll meet you back here next Friday!

Cat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%